Author Topic: styled steel wheel restoration  (Read 9065 times)

Offline lancelot66

Re: styled steel wheel restoration
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2014, 08:22:38 PM »
I made paint masks from old unused IBM punch cards. The stiffness of the card was what I needed. It was trial and error but eventually I got a set of five (one for each open slot in the wheel), a roll of masking tape, a glass of wine and a good day to paint. It alsp helps if you've been building plastic model cars, planes and ships for a verrrry long time.
Jim

I like your style here Jim. If my wife were to read this, she'd think I had possibly wrote it! Pedigree for patience and good thought processes. Not sure about my patience sometimes however...! ;)

-Lance
VR/
-Lance

SJ Build Date: 1/6
'66 Fstbk: 63A M 25 06A 71 1 6
Many Original Options

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2015, 07:11:08 AM »
I'm not there yet, but am committed to do this myself or possibly with "True Design Wheels" (thanks for the tip Bob) if the price to effort ratio is reasonable.  And I'll report back on the results.

John, did you try to contact TDW by chance? I have stripped several of my wheels now, my chrome is nice but not perfect, I thought this vendor might be the best choice I had found to date to rechrome and true up mine but the phone numbers are all disconnected and no website any longer  :'(  Like I said, mine do not look to bad, but when I spin them on a balancer...well, an egg don't look too bad either! lol! They have to at very least be trued up. I think I have only one (1) round one out of 6 and on that one, you can see that somebody "straightened" it (not very good workmanship IMO, but it doesn't wobble like the rest)

Looking like riding on "eggs" or the repops are the answer unless I find somebody else that can straighten the wobble reasonably.

Richard
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 07:36:59 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2015, 08:53:41 PM »
I found this out this evening:

https://www.machinetools.com/en/auctions/6373-complete-dispersal-of-trudesign-wheel-inc-internet-only-auction

TruDesign Wheels is indeed out of business

Anybody with andy New ideas?
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments