Author Topic: Front Windshield  (Read 288 times)

Offline kkupec02

Front Windshield
« on: April 14, 2024, 12:08:14 AM »
I seem to have all original glass in my GT500 except for my windshield which is replacement glass from the 1980's no doubt. I hope to have the car painted in the next year or so. What is the consensus on finding original windshield glass in good shape at a reasonable price or should I just go replacement with maybe some etching kit? Also, my rear glass is pretty scratched up. Might think about replacing that as well. Asking early as it may take some time to find good glass. Thanks.
1967 GT500 Built 1/26/67 #817
1967 Corvette Roadster

Offline ruppstang

Re: Front Windshield
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2024, 09:30:16 AM »
IMHO the chances of finding a windshield worthy of a concours restored car is slim to none. Most of what you will find are scratched and pitted and on top of that you will be looking for a correct date code. You might find one good enough for an unrestored car but not a restoration. You can polish out some of the small scratches, but the deep ones and rock nicks will not come out. You might find a good back glass if you find a southern car that did not get frost scraped off hundreds of times. If it were me, I would get both new and put my efforts in another part of the restoration.

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2024, 10:00:37 AM »
i have to agree with marty here. a pecked up windshield will stand out like a sore thumb on fresh paint.
5F09C331248

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2024, 10:52:53 AM »
IMHO the chances of finding a windshield worthy of a concours restored car is slim to none. Most of what you will find are scratched and pitted and on top of that you will be looking for a correct date code. You might find one good enough for an unrestored car but not a restoration. You can polish out some of the small scratches, but the deep ones and rock nicks will not come out. You might find a good back glass if you find a southern car that did not get frost scraped off hundreds of times. If it were me, I would get both new and put my efforts in another part of the restoration.
++++1 . I suspect comparable odds to hitting all the numbers you need on a powerball ticket.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2024, 12:37:27 PM »
I seem to have all original glass in my GT500 except for my windshield which is replacement glass from the 1980's no doubt. I hope to have the car painted in the next year or so. What is the consensus on finding original windshield glass in good shape at a reasonable price or should I just go replacement with maybe some etching kit? Also, my rear glass is pretty scratched up. Might think about replacing that as well. Asking early as it may take some time to find good glass. Thanks.

I've used these guys for the last several windshields. You decide on tint or not, the logo, and the date code.
https://ecsauto.com/products/1964-76-ford-vehicles-windshield-w-etching-your-date-code-correct-logo
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline kkupec02

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2024, 09:26:23 PM »
Thanks. How would I know to get tinted or clear? It doesn't say on the Marti report and Dave Matthews doesn't have the build sheet for my car. Also, do repros have the ribbed back glass?
1967 GT500 Built 1/26/67 #817
1967 Corvette Roadster

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2024, 10:42:24 PM »
Thanks. How would I know to get tinted or clear? It doesn't say on the Marti report and Dave Matthews doesn't have the build sheet for my car. Also, do repros have the ribbed back glass?
If your car had AC it would have tinted side glass and windshield. If no AC then it would be clear side glass and windshield with no tinted band on the windshield. If special ordered with tinted glass then it would be on the Marti. Ford did not to my knowledge have a tinted windshield without also tinted side glass.  The fastback back glass has a etched on stripe.  It is not a rib.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2024, 01:31:53 AM »

Pretty sure you have clear glass. Post your Marti report.
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline SCJSTU

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2024, 10:35:10 PM »
I second ECS?got a date coded correct logo windshield 2 years ago?.perfect
1969 Shelby GT350 convertible  4spd-AC built 1-27-69
1967 Mustang S-Code 4-speed built Jan 1967 non therm
1956 Ford F100 Big Window 392 Hemi

1961 Falcon 2 Door Station Wagon 302V8
2004 Mach 1 Azure Blue