1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1969 - 70 Shelby

69 Grill area black out question again!

(1/4) > >>

Armond:
I know Bob or Ed or Jeff can help here and others too.  Looking at these pictures you can see the black out line, located with arrows. And you can see the fender mounting to the core support.  You can see that the shims with tape are still in place.  It looked to me that the tape and the shims were over sprayed with black out along with the screws.  So it would seem that it was done after the fenders were mounted?  Did they tape off the front part of the headlight area to avoid black paint getting on the gray? It would seem they must have had too. The two bolts for the fender to headlight bucket must have been painted black? Also it appears the grill was attached after the black out.  These pics are off an original car I am finally finishing. I know this was discussed a while back, but I just want to make sure on the sequence. Also this is car 21 so it is very early so there might be some differences than normally seen. Thanks for any input! 

J_Speegle:
I guess the first place to start might be the term "black out"  since the are your referring to (the sheet metal sides that attach to the fender and to the face of the radiator support were typically the dark argent/charcoal color.

Help me recall the details of this particular car if you would, to be sure that I remember it correctly. Wasn't this car tapped on the drivers side front fender?? IF I remember correctly they didn't black out the turn indicator pocket and left the upper plate should in your picture on the drivers side body color also.   If the cars front end was altered could what we see now possibly be black rattle car be someone later effort to clean up the front end? Car #218 didn't have any black on those surfaces - closest original cars I've owned close to your cars VIN

For others we're discussing a very very early 69 351 (#21) that I think was built in October.

Just asking of course and looking for a solid starting place for discussion :)  I know the other two (Ed and Bob) aren't back from Monterey as of yet - sure they will join in the next day or so. 

A few examples from later original paint car to help the discussion

A couple of pictures of the cars being assembled

Appears to be that the workers are masking off the headlight and grill opening area so that the grey can be applied to the front end before it was installed
Cropped from a larger original picture

Another of the completed front end - notice that that area your looking at on your car does not appear to be bare steel nor unpainted light pick fiberglass/plastic

Bob Gaines:
Armond,I agree with Jeff's details .The tape for the tape together shims would not typically show any signs of paint as they were added after the painting process was done. p.s look forward to catching up to you.It's been too long. 

Armond:
Thanks guys for replying.  I thought it might have been rattle canned at some point.  I  just wanted to make sure it was not a process they did at the end. Though I had never seen it on another car.  Yes Jeff this car was repaired to the left fender and front at one point.  On the restored cars I have seen, the shims never had paint on them.  I have not seen any untouched cars that I can think of.   Bob I do plan on SAAC 38 next year. Maybe we'll see you there? Thanks!! Armond

specialed:
Armond in the first photo you can see the black over the grey at bottom headlite bucket & a later rattle can touch-up. I can see where you thought that by looking at shim tape bare & no black on tape but that was masking tape & after pressure washing & outside weather elements the paint would wear off the tape easier than the metal. Also in your first photo there is no blackout around the park lamp area?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version