Author Topic: 71 J-code Autolite shock date code info  (Read 1509 times)

Offline Ashley

71 J-code Autolite shock date code info
« on: February 15, 2013, 01:03:30 PM »
Anyone know the dates Autolite made shocks for 71 429 CJ Mustang. Having new shocks made and builder needs dates for front/rear to complete. Car was built on 3-17-71. Also need info for painting rear axle housing,backing plates,trans crossmember,front coil spring covers. Type,brand,% gloss etc. Any info would be appreciated.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 71 J-code Autolite shock date code info
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 10:49:51 PM »
Anyone know the dates Autolite made shocks for 71 429 CJ Mustang. Having new shocks made and builder needs dates for front/rear to complete. Car was built on 3-17-71.

Based on general practices You would be safe IMHO with a date (all would not have the same date of course) with 3 -4 months prior. Not sure if they did these in big batches or continually so lacking that specific knowledge I would go with days in the 3-4 months as mentioned

Also need info for painting rear axle housing,backing plates,trans crossmember,front coil spring covers. Type,brand,% gloss etc. Any info would be appreciated.
[/quote]

Can not recommend specific brands since what I can shot here locally is not likely what is available locally to you - you likely have a much greater choice :(

Any good catalized paint with a semi-gloss look will work fine. Backing plates will generally be glossier than the rear end housing just based on how the paint was applied.

Don't believe the transmission cross members were painted that year - mine was not.

Front spring covers - honestly not sure its possible that like the two prior years at that plant they were slop grey rather than black

Did you check over on the 429CJ forum for this information also. Not allot of traffic but allot of specific knowledge about these cars

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline JohnRB

• 0F03R120303