Author Topic: Washer Pump Hoses?  (Read 1124 times)

Offline drummingrocks

Washer Pump Hoses?
« on: June 13, 2013, 06:39:52 PM »
I recently purchased a reproduction windshield washer pump to replace the missing original on my '66 fastback.  I also purchased a length of the correct ribbed hose to connect the pump to the washer nozzles and the washer bag.  I'm having trouble getting some of the hoses to stay in place, particularly the one that feeds from the washer bag to the pump.  While the hose will fit and stay in place, it seems loose enough that it will leak the minute washer fluid is poured into the bag.  Did Ford use any kind of clips or other retainers to make sure these hoses didn't slip off or leak when new?

Also, where should I insert the plastic "tee?"  According to the assembly manual, it goes near the cowl area, near the driver's side washer nozzle, but is that pretty close to what Ford actually did on the assembly line?  Or am I overthinking things again?  ;)

This is for a 2-speed wiper car, not a single speed. Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 06:42:09 PM by drummingrocks »
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Washer Pump Hoses?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 07:50:07 PM »
There were no clamps used.  If you have the correct hose, would suggest that the fitting on the pump may be the wrong size.  A workaround might be to wrap some tape around the fitting.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 11:53:12 AM »
There were no clamps used.  If you have the correct hose, would suggest that the fitting on the pump may be the wrong size.  A workaround might be to wrap some tape around the fitting.

Thanks, I'll try that. 
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 12:33:14 PM »
A temporary "fix" is to put a plug in the outlet fitting then slip the hose over the fitting. It will keep leaks to a minimum. A more permanent "fix" is to heat the bag in the sun and enlarge outside diameter of the fitting with a tapered tool (an awl or punch).
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.