Author Topic: Rear Suspension detailing  (Read 4748 times)

Offline bluemax

Rear Suspension detailing
« on: July 18, 2013, 08:26:42 AM »
Finally starting to get around to detailing the under carriage on my '86 Comp Prep.

Looking through the MCA rules, it states that rear sway bars ('85-'93) are black and the  coil springs may be natural or black.

Looking through my pictures of low mileage cars, including Daniel Carpenter's, all of the sway bars and springs appear to be natural. I have attached a picture of a 7 mile SVO as reference. The sway bar and springs are basically the same color as the rear end and drive shaft (bare steel or natural).

Unfortunately the original owner of my car got his $$$ worth and my sway bar is coverd in under coating, the springs appear to be unpainted (slightly rusted from road use).

I would appreciate everyone's thoughts/comments on this.

Matt

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Rear Suspension detailing
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 08:38:27 AM »
Would recommend to document what you find on your own car and if it is out of the norm, then document other low mileage originals like Carpenter's.  Sometimes mistakes are made in the rules, especially in the later generation cars where there hasn't been as much work and research done as, say, 1st generation. 

The contact info for the 3rd generation head judge is on the MCA website, so you could also try e-mail or a phone call to get their take on the matter.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline svo2scj

• Car Collector and home to WHEEL CITY FAIRLANE
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 11:38:58 PM »
Hi Matt

Just got home from Vegas - will try and take photos (in garage) and post ASAP.  (can't get out RIGHT AWAY)

Mark
P.S.  Guess you don't want to see my 2100 mile COmp Prep that was undercoated either !
1969 R Code , Sportsroof (non Mach) W Axle
AB , Standard Interior  San Jose built 4/22/1969

Offline bluemax

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 07:45:24 PM »
P.S.  Guess you don't want to see my 2100 mile COmp Prep that was undercoated either !

Hi Mark!

Of course I would!  Post em up... The rules state that for undercoated cars, certain suspension items shall NOT be undercoated. Easy to say, but hard to control since we are basically at the mercy of the tech that sprayed the cars (so many years ago). I doubt they cared much about details and trying to keep the undercoating off certain parts!   ::)

Offline svo2scj

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 12:00:14 PM »
Well because Jeff has taught me to "cross section" - AND POINT OUT SPECIFICS ......  here you go.  (Miles and DSO maybe important)

9900 mile 1984 Detroit DSO 

3000 Mile 1986 41C Phoenix DSO

67K Mile 1985.5 41C CA DSO  (the only one)

2100 Mile 1986 41C (Undercoated)

These were taken on my back with my Iphone!   I looked for my photos of my "7 mile School car" but didn't find rear suspension shots.
Mark

P.S.  I have photos of another 85.5 41C that I sold - it was very rusty - BUT that may help in knowing what "may have been" painted!

Offline bluemax

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 12:24:27 PM »
Thanks Mark.

The '84 car's sway bar is definetly painted black. The '85.5 and '86 cars appear to be natural. The undercoated car is worse than mine! LOL

The 3000 mile car appears to have suffered a lot of surface rust (upper control arms) relative to the mileage. The mufflers have also been replaced... interesting.

I will post up some from Daniel's '85.5 CP tonight when I get home. I have lot's of good pics on a very clean, low mileage car.

Offline svo2scj

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 12:57:45 PM »
I was going to post " glad you didn't ask about mufflers" !!

Even though I have owned these cars for over 20 years - I TOO still question what prior owners did !!

1) lower control and springs are all natural on my cars
2) I would say REAR sway bars are back (as the 85.5 car looks like it is road "peppered" off IMO)

Mark
P.S.  Yeah that 86 Comp Prep with the undercoating (though my lowest mile car today) would be the first to sell/trade!   While I'm ok with removing undercoating on an early mustang - not so much on an SVO!

Offline bluemax

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 08:15:45 PM »
Here are a few from Daniel Carpenter's '85.5 1C CP.

The rear end, springs, and sway bar are definetly "natural".

Offline svo2scj

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 09:45:49 PM »
I wouldn't be sure if my (second and third) photos of the bar aren't natural ! 

Now the 84 MAY have been changed !   Would have to get up in the air and really look.  AGAIN - not sure what prior owners did.  (IF that car got a "service bar" it may have been painted black)

Mark

Offline bluemax

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2013, 07:44:48 AM »
Next question... hardware finish.

Looking through my various pics of low mileage cars, it is difficult to tell if the hardware is zinc phosphate (grey) or manganese (black). Looking at one of the pics I posted earlier in this thread, the bolts appear to be "black". Notice the upper control arm bolt head and the mtg hardware for the mufflers vs. the bolts for the rear diff cover. My NOS service replacement hardware are"black".

Any thoughts/comments on this?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 07:48:01 AM by bluemax »

Offline svo2scj

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2013, 05:30:34 PM »
Guess I'll get under a car again !!

(I think they are black)

When I replaced the rear bolts in the 7 mile school car they were black.   

Mark

Offline chalkys_explorer

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2013, 12:36:24 AM »
Looking at all my pics, seems like we have some of the same, I'd suggest that the rear swaybar is NOT painted. If it it was it was a very thin coat because all the bars I've looked at have a fair amount of surface rust.
84 1C MA 3EF132078 .....amongst others