Author Topic: 70 Sportsroof trap door hinge finish?  (Read 2784 times)

Offline cool67

70 Sportsroof trap door hinge finish?
« on: February 14, 2010, 10:29:11 AM »
On a 70 Sportsroof are the trap door hinges painted the color of the car or Phosphate and oil? If they are painted are the bolts also painted or? that attach them to the upper deck area?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 70 Sportsroof trap door hinge finish?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 01:35:03 PM »
On a 70 Sportsroof are the trap door hinges painted the color of the car or Phosphate and oil?

Correction - dark charcoal metallic like the trap door. IF it has not been mentioned before, many of us use a base of semi-gloss black before we shoot the charcoal since it often does a poor job of covering.

If they are painted are the bolts also painted or? that attach them to the upper deck area?

No paint on the bolt or the mounting J clips as they were not attached to the car at the time it was painted

Hope this helps
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 07:52:46 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline rmaginnis

• December 2010
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 10:03:17 PM »
Jeff, .  I restored my fold-down seat panels including the trap door a few months back and I'm pretty sure the hinges are same color as panels and trap door - charcoal grey.
Rick

Somewhat dark but panel and hinge in this pic are both painted charcoal mettalic.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 02:48:56 AM by rmaginnis »
Rick Maginnis
April, '70 Dearborn Boss 302
0F02G18xxxx

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 11:22:10 PM »
Jeff, .  I restored my fold-down seat panels including the trap door a few months back and I'm pretty sure the hinges are same color as panels and trap door - charcoal grey.
Rick

Thanks Rick will double check the original sets I have at the shop. Unfortunately the ones for my CJ were already stripped :( Did check the picture collection and I would agree that the tone and coloration is the same as the trap door.

As always thanks for aiming us in the right direction - will alter the post above so no one gets mislead at a later date
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 07:51:08 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)