Author Topic: '67 Factory AC ?s Fuse box location Factory AC vs non AC cars & hose off fan box  (Read 7319 times)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
I'll see what I can do but not as easy to photo in my car as on your floor. ;D

Thanks, if you are able...I know it could be difficult to see up there.

Though we're getting off track a bit I only recall seeing that configuration (motor with the hose)  on 69 with the power vent option (plus other Ford applications)

Guess should be spelled out (unless I missed it some where in the thread) that this is a AC thing in 67-68 rather than a standard heater

Think we should split the thread and chase each down individually (motor and fuse box) ?

Yes, I saw I was off topic a bit and wondered if there might be another way but the pictures were here in this thread regarding the '67 relay plate and I noticed it was different a little in how it mounts. If a split is chosen to do, maybe we could include related photos to the relay plate for '67 and not include what has been referred to as a Z plate on the 68 (and possibly later 67's with the Z plate under the fuse block?)
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline ruppstang

It is a bit blurry but the best I can do.

Offline 67gtasanjose

It is a bit blurry but the best I can do.

Thanks Marty!  I know the area is extremely congested and as suspected, I cannot really make out how the relay plate is secured to the wiper motor bracket (or screwed down to wiper motor bracket). It actually looks as though your relay bracket is bent out to more or less flat, taking the 90 degree bend as seen in my example out of it. (possibly for easier access to a failed relay?)  Curiously, I have seen this elsewhere in some pictures another member emailed me of his Convenience Control Details. Kinda like "Great, more confusion ???."  Nonetheless, the picture does show the same items I have on the relay bracket, mounted in the same arrangement (which I had also confirmed as the best possible match to what the assembly manual indicated along with following my rather lousy images I took of the area when I took mine apart)

For reponding the the OP's inquiry of the "Z-plate" found mounted behind and with the fuse panel (known to be correct for 68's, not known yet as correct for any 67), hopefully, I'm not muddying the waters any more about that...

My inquiries for pictures of Marty's 11/4/66 San Jose example and previously showing pictures of my 11/2/66 SJ example, are to add to the discussion of "the correct relay bracket AND the correct mounting location of this relay bracket found on certain 67's".

Since the 67's have so many running changes AND I happen to have recently been working on these very parts to ready them for reassembly, I have my relay bracket pre-assembled, partially already secured to the wiper motor assembly & bracket (as pictured earlier) For screwing the plate down onto the wiper motor bracket, I simply used the only two holes existing already on my original wiper motor bracket. (By the way, those holes look to be spaced the same distance apart as the holes in a Fog Light circuit breaker, as if Ford intended for a"Fog Lights Only car" to have the Fog light breaker screwed directly onto the wiper motor bracket WITHOUT even using the relay plate on cars not having either Convenience Group option and/or Tilt-Away Wheel.)

I understand that John, (67gta289) has taken a few parts from salvaged cars over the years. Maybe he has some more light to shed in this dark and congested area of "how does the relay bracket secure to the wiper motor bracket". Honestly, by reading his earlier comment, it looks as though the Dearborn & New Jersey examples he has seen or dismantled, this relay bracket may have been mounted differently onto the wiper motor. Maybe a trend? Maybe a running change? I couldn't say but it may help others sort things out on their examples.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 07:14:28 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Hope these are still related to the subject being discussed

Don't have  allot of underdash shots but found a couple of original AC 67s that appear not to have the plate to the side of the fuse box

San Jose - 7F03C1291xx Same car as in one of the unrestored example threads

Haven't looked through the Shelbys for more San Jose specific examples - just the two I found at this point
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 11:44:13 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gta289

Since the 67's have so many running changes AND I happen to have recently been working on these very parts to ready them for reassembly, I have my relay bracket pre-assembled, partially already secured to the wiper motor assembly & bracket (as pictured earlier) For screwing the plate down onto the wiper motor bracket, I simply used the only two holes existing already on my original wiper motor bracket. (By the way, those holes look to be spaced the same distance apart as the holes in a Fog Light circuit breaker, as if Ford intended for a"Fog Lights Only car" to have the Fog light breaker screwed directly onto the wiper motor bracket WITHOUT even using the relay plate on cars not having either Convenience Group option and/or Tilt-Away Wheel.)

I understand that John, (67gta289) has taken a few parts from salvaged cars over the years. Maybe he has some more light to shed in this dark and congested area of "how does the relay bracket secure to the wiper motor bracket". Honestly, by reading his earlier comment, it looks as though the Dearborn & New Jersey examples he has seen or dismantled, this relay bracket may have been mounted differently onto the wiper motor. Maybe a trend? Maybe a running change? I couldn't say but it may help others sort things out on their examples.

Richard,

I have from an original 67 SJ GT no AC no tilt no deluxe belts (thus fog lamp CB only) a Z plate that was mounted on the wiper motor bracket, and the CB was mounted to the plate.

I also have from a 67 Dearborn car, AC and tilt and convenience control, the same Z plate mounted the same way to the wiper motor bracket.

Also my Dec 66 SJ was the same way.

I've never seen a 67 with the plate attached to/near the fuse panel.

Do the pictures below help?
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 67gtasanjose

Richard,

I have from an original 67 SJ GT no AC no tilt no deluxe belts (thus fog lamp CB only) a Z plate that was mounted on the wiper motor bracket, and the CB was mounted to the plate.

I also have from a 67 Dearborn car, AC and tilt and convenience control, the same Z plate mounted the same way to the wiper motor bracket.

Yes, your pictures are pretty much the same as I have mine setup right now.
Other pictures seem to be what has been confusing me. Maybe it's because of all of the congestion of items in that area and the difficulty of shooting clear pictures, I cannot say. I'll let it go for now and when the time comes,  assemble mine as I pictured earlier. (unless I find something else out beforehand)
Richard Urch

Offline ruppstang

Richard,

I agree 67 style plate that hung from the wiper frame was use used with the options that you listed above but if the car only had AC the breaker was hung on the back of the ignition switch. I do not believe that the Z plate located by the fuse panel was used till 68. 

Offline 67gta289

Opening this back up to associate this with a potential running change for 1967.  I believe the "Z" plate discussed is Ford basic part number 14A301 "Bracket - Relay Mounting"

The MPC states that C7ZZ-14A301-A was used "before 4/15/67" while the -B was used "after" that date.  The usual disclaimer that the MPC date is often found to be close but not exact for every vehicle across the three assembly plants.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Opening this back up to associate this with a potential running change for 1967.  I believe the "Z" plate discussed is Ford basic part number 14A301 "Bracket - Relay Mounting"

Guess we're looking also for what the difference (good place to start) between the two versions. We determine what the differences are we can split the topic and make it a running change thread from that point.
Jeff Speegle

Offline 67gtasanjose

Guess we're looking also for what the difference (good place to start) between the two versions. We determine what the differences are we can split the topic and make it a running change thread from that point.

Later design like the 68 would mount behind the fuse block, early design attached to the wiper motor bracket.
Richard Urch

Offline ruppstang

Later design like the 68 would mount behind the fuse block, early design attached to the wiper motor bracket.

+1 Marty

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator

As of now I have cars built after the date you showed in reply #22. Maybe the change was the bracket design and not the mounting/attachment location

Will look through more pictures
Jeff Speegle