Author Topic: '65 7-1/4" Pinion Flange Removal  (Read 3287 times)

Offline suskeenwiske

• 214-347-3628
'65 7-1/4" Pinion Flange Removal
« on: February 20, 2014, 11:24:48 PM »
I need some help.

I'm trying to remove the Rear Yoke/Pinion Flange from the Pinion Shaft and it will not budge. I've broken my puller trying, heat has not helped and I've attempted a few hammer blows but am afraid that I'll cause other damage if I hit it too hard. The differential is off of the car and completely disassembled with this one exception...any suggestions or tricks that I may try?

Thanks

Ray
Ray
1965 Dearborn Coupe
6 Cylinder, AT, PB, PS, AC
Est. Build 23A

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: '65 7-1/4" Pinion Flange Removal
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 11:59:48 PM »
Just a shot - Set the assy up right and fill the yoke around the shaft with wd 40 and strike it or using a punch strike the center of the pinion - this way you stay away from the threads) a couple of times then let it sit over night

Might help it break loose - Just a slight possibility   Good luck
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline suskeenwiske

• 214-347-3628
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 01:07:14 AM »
You just described exactly what I'm doing now. I've filled the Yoke Well with WD-40 and letting it sit overnight; I hadn't thought of using a Punch...I'll give that a try.

Thanks

Ray
Ray
1965 Dearborn Coupe
Est. Build 23A

Offline suskeenwiske

• 214-347-3628
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 02:26:34 PM »
Well the punch didn't work but a new 5-ton puller finally broke the yoke loose. The splines were thoroughly cover with WD-40, so thanks for that, but even so it was quite a job.

First time I've fully disassembled a Rear End; there is nothing easy about a simple 7.25" Rear End that has never been worked on before...it even still had the original leather axle seals, paint marks and all. Found a badly pitted Race so all the hassle was worth it for just that alone.

I have discovered that Restoring a six is far more difficult than an eight...certain parts are incredibly difficult to find or just don't exist and accurate documented information, at least so far, has also been difficult to find.

Thanks

Ray
Ray
1965 Dearborn Coupe
Est. Build 23A

Offline C5ZZ

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 08:22:19 PM »
I have discovered that Restoring a six is far more difficult than an eight...certain parts are incredibly difficult to find or just don't exist and accurate documented information, at least so far, has also been difficult to find.

Thanks

Ray

So Ray will you be our "go to" guy if we have any 6 cyl questions?

I hear you, it can be a bit of a challenge sometimes but glad to see you are sticking
with the six! So many cars have been converted to a V8.
MCA # 00945

65 Fastback, 6 cyl, AT, AC, PS, PB
Rangoon Red/Red Interior

Offline lscman

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 09:41:44 PM »
Not to high jack your thread but I've got a question and that is are the axle ends and bearings the same as the standard 8 inch housing on the six cylinder cars?I'm wondering did Ford use the same backing plates as the V-8 stuff?

Offline C5ZZ

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 10:52:10 PM »
Not to high jack your thread but I've got a question and that is are the axle ends and bearings the same as the standard 8 inch housing on the six cylinder cars?I'm wondering did Ford use the same backing plates as the V-8 stuff?

Backing plates are different, bearings most likely are as well.
MCA # 00945

Rangoon Red/Red Interior

Offline lscman

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 06:09:46 PM »
Are you sure as Ford made alot of interchangable parts in the rear end that were not model specific?Some of the early wagon,cars etc. had same bearing,backing plate,brakes etc. with same diameter drum and brake just 4 lug drum?

Offline suskeenwiske

• 214-347-3628
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 09:30:14 PM »
I'm no experts when it comes to shared parts between different assemblies like the Differential. Reference Manuals with exploded views and part numbers may be of help and maybe even looking in parts catalogs will provide you with some information. If you start a new Thread that addresses this specifically, you'll likely get more people to look at it and hopefully provide answers. My Subject Line is not one that many look at just because the 7-1/4" is not all that popular and certain parts are next to impossible to find.

Ray
Ray
1965 Dearborn Coupe
Est. Build 23A

Offline suskeenwiske

• 214-347-3628
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 10:11:35 PM »
Steve,

I don't know about being the "go to guy", still learning myself, but I've have learned that the 6 Cylinder world is very different than the 8. What surprises me is the difficulty of finding parts considering that so many were produced. I guess most are more interested in V-8's and imagine that the 6's and all their related parts found their way to the crusher more easily. I personally don't care either way; they're still Mustangs but that's me, not everyone thinks the same...and you'll never catch me dropping an 8 into a car that started life as a 6 or vice versa.

Anyway, I have the Differential completely disassembled now and am in the process of cleaning off all the grime and gear oil. All the Gears are in great shape but not so with the Bearing, Races and Seals. Found out that the Seals are the originals; paint still present. Something else I learned while pulling this apart; paint marks were also used inside some assemblies to indicate completion of a process; pictures to be posted soon.

The restoration has been great though, even if tough at times. It's also a bit different because this time I'm disassembling everything including the Steering Box, PS Pump, Alternator, AC Compressor and so on...you get the idea. It may be insane but I want to see how everything works and fix it along the way, even down to the Neutral Safety Switch.

I'll post pictures once done with the car. You and I have such similar cars, even down to the options, that it might be cool to see how close they are in appearance, even though yours is a Fastback...Grrrrrrrrrr! A Fastback!!! You lucky sap!

Ray
Ray
1965 Dearborn Coupe
Est. Build 23A

Offline mustang65ld

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 10:23:20 AM »
If you think it is that difficult to find parts, just try finding parts for the 6 Cylinder Equa-Lok option and also the optional 3.50:1 ring and pinion gear size. I know because I had to source NOS for both of these items. Was lucky enough to get a full NOS Equa-Lok and 3.50:1 gear set in the 7-1/4.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 09:38:43 PM by mustang65ld »

Offline C5ZZ

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2014, 08:48:12 PM »
Steve,

I don't know about being the "go to guy", still learning myself, but I've have learned that the 6 Cylinder world is very different than the 8. What surprises me is the difficulty of finding parts considering that so many were produced. I guess most are more interested in V-8's and imagine that the 6's and all their related parts found their way to the crusher more easily. I personally don't care either way; they're still Mustangs but that's me, not everyone thinks the same...and you'll never catch me dropping an 8 into a car that started life as a 6 or vice versa.

Anyway, I have the Differential completely disassembled now and am in the process of cleaning off all the grime and gear oil. All the Gears are in great shape but not so with the Bearing, Races and Seals. Found out that the Seals are the originals; paint still present. Something else I learned while pulling this apart; paint marks were also used inside some assemblies to indicate completion of a process; pictures to be posted soon.

The restoration has been great though, even if tough at times. It's also a bit different because this time I'm disassembling everything including the Steering Box, PS Pump, Alternator, AC Compressor and so on...you get the idea. It may be insane but I want to see how everything works and fix it along the way, even down to the Neutral Safety Switch.

I'll post pictures once done with the car. You and I have such similar cars, even down to the options, that it might be cool to see how close they are in appearance, even though yours is a Fastback...Grrrrrrrrrr! A Fastback!!! You lucky sap!

Ray

Ray, I admire your dedication to keep the car as it came with the six, I have done that as well and it is
challenging at times to find info and the correct parts for a restoration, look forward to your pictures!
MCA # 00945

Rangoon Red/Red Interior