Author Topic: Washer bag location for 65 SJ fastback  (Read 2843 times)

Offline petersixtfive

Washer bag location for 65 SJ fastback
« on: March 08, 2014, 03:16:52 AM »
Could someone help me with the mounting location of the washer bag for a june 65 SJ built fastback
There wasn't one fitted originally and would like some advice on positioning of the bracket
Measurement of known correct examples would be a great help
Also some advice on the correct wire from the pump to the switch please
Thanks in advance
65 SJ GT fastback June 65 Build

Offline outback mustang

Re: Washer bag location for 65 SJ fastback
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 03:13:11 PM »
Could someone help me with the mounting location of the washer bag for a june 65 SJ built fastback
There wasn't one fitted originally and would like some advice on positioning of the bracket
Measurement of known correct examples would be a great help
Also some advice on the correct wire from the pump to the switch please
Thanks in advance

G'day mate,

i'll get you started, but i bet london to a brick some other folk know better details than me.

the position asfaik is not difficult at all, there are a couple of dimples (on the inner mudgaurd/fender) where i understand the the two screws are fastened, you should be able to notice them right away . if you do a search using pics you should find some decent examples (?) . the wire i can only go by memory atm , anyone that looks it up will be able to assist far better. but to put you on the right track you should be able to find the correct cable (suited for the month and year you mention) should be, at a guess a simple , single ended cable (not the 66 cable which is different, dual ended if i remember correct), not to be confused with the 66 model which attaches to a different  loom and washer pump, and on one end i think i remember has two connections (uses a different washer pump)

all the best

(should have edited I know, since  i repeated myself a couple of times, but hey, it just didnt seem that important)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 03:17:00 PM by outback mustang »

Offline petersixtfive

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 05:25:55 PM »
Thanks, but there are no dimples visable and the apron is original to the car
I appreciate that most cars could have the dimples indicating the location of the bracket

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 08:22:27 PM »

Guess your adding the large washer bag rather than the smaller one.

One of the challenge is that the windshield washer option was not very popular so there are not a ton of examples like we would find on later Mustangs

The depressions in the driver side inner fender panel were often a guide for assembly workers but often ignored (or only one used) when the dealer installed the option it seems

Will collect and post  a few examples from that period and plant for you to evaluate and base a choice on

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 10:51:38 PM »

Hole location  on this car - looks like narrow bag/mount

Panel dimple location

Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 11:41:43 PM »
I made this sketch for a 65 owner that had the forward aprons of his car replaced but did not have the old hole patterns transferred. The measurements came from my 66 but I did a quick check of my 65 (the power steering pump is in the way) and they are close.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline petersixtfive

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 11:59:59 PM »
Thanks to Jeff and Jim
Appreciate you taking the time to post the pics and measurements
Exactly what I was after
Should help others in the future as well
Regards

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2014, 04:07:23 PM »
I made this sketch for a 65 owner that had the forward aprons of his car replaced but did not have the old hole patterns transferred. The measurements came from my 66 but I did a quick check of my 65 (the power steering pump is in the way) and they are close.
Jim

Just as a note Jim - I couldn't find an example from his time period mounted below the raised (inward towards the engine compartment) section of the panel so not sure if I would recommend that location for this specific application ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2014, 04:18:28 PM »
Just as a note Jim - I couldn't find an example from his time period mounted below the raised (inward towards the engine compartment) section of the panel so not sure if I would recommend that location for this specific application ;)
The holes on my May 65 San Jose 65 Fastback factory washer bag are very close to the sketch made from my Oct 65 San Jose 66 Fastback factory washer bag. What else can I say?
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2014, 09:09:21 PM »
The holes on my May 65 San Jose 65 Fastback factory washer bag are very close to the sketch made from my Oct 65 San Jose 66 Fastback factory washer bag. What else can I say?

We're both just reporting what we're finding. Up to the original poster to choice their own path ;)
Jeff Speegle