Author Topic: Black "color wheel"  (Read 2468 times)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Black "color wheel"
« on: July 31, 2009, 11:06:27 PM »
Not sure how many of you have ever done this, but last week I decided to spray 3 different shades of black on color cards.  Started with a pure gloss black and flattened according to the spec sheet to semi gloss, eggshell and flat black.  So far, it's working out great in gauging the gloss level of various parts.  More importantly, I've been writing down my findings so that they can be referenced later.

Just another thing to think about when trying to achieve a more authentically restored car!   :)
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Online outlawincorporated

• Kangaroo Herder
Re: Black "color wheel"
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 09:07:30 AM »
CHARLES.

i recently batch painted all of my engine bay components for my 66 GT convertible in various shades of "black" so i can get a varying look on all parts when judged.  so far the people who have seen my endevours once those parts where installed have thought i stuffed up and recommended i repaint then all in generic semi gloss black.... as per the other cars they have seen on the show circuit.

in my opinion it looks good and very much authentic.

regards.

PHILL  BERESFORD.
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALIA.

ITS ONLY EVER ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!

MCA GOLD CARD JUDGE 1ST GENERATION.  MCA #68589

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 10:05:55 AM »
I'm finding a lot of parts in the semi-gloss range or just a tad more flat.  Interior parts seem to lean towards the eggshell finish, which is about a 5-10% reduction in gloss.

I've used varying shades of paint in the black, but have to say I was probably guessing.  It's nice to actually document the shades and use them when replicating later.  I have parts from 3 cars built within 2 weeks at the same assembly plant, so nice to be able to compare several examples.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Brandon Badel

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 10:18:07 PM »
The pulleys are very different in black color. I have color eyed some of these pulleys. Some have yellow,blue,red,in the black,  This means that all pulleys are different colors and sheens. I painted my pulleys on my cj 3 different colors. Very slight difference.  A color eye is a computer eye we put on the color to test the pigment content. This is for the nuts only.