Author Topic: Powder Coating and Ceramic Coating -  (Read 4172 times)

Offline jwc66k

Powder Coating and Ceramic Coating -
« on: May 30, 2014, 03:14:10 PM »
For powder coating and ceramic coating information and services, give Joe an e-mail at joespowder(at)yahoo.com or go to www.spraytechnology.net
He is car friendly.
Jim
I added some color charts of the powder coat colors available, mostly to highlight the black semi-gloss percentages. Way back, it was determined that 20 percent to 40 percent semi-gloss black (see first picture) were the closest to what was desired (Note, no 30 percent is available). The determination was not in respect to powder coat finishes. Also of note on the 3rd picture, is "Beige Hammer Semi-Gloss", which is a very close match to the wrinkle finish and shade used on the white (interior color code 62 for me) Rally Pac.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 08:30:12 PM by jwc66k »
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline jwc66k

Re: Powder Coating and Ceramic Coating -
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2022, 05:01:14 PM »
I sorry to say, but Spray Technology is out of business.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline KevinK

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2022, 05:53:55 PM »
For local powder coating, I'm hearing EPS out of Hayward or Milpitas, CA is good. More than one source suggested them but details were evasive. I plan to try a different one closer to me (by SFO airport). I don't recall the name right now. Reviews were very good.

For ceramics (headers), I used a place in Belmont. Possibly ABC? The turn around was horrible and the powder coating parts seemed to have welding slag on them. I don't see any listing at the moment so maybe they closed.
MCA #33800, Gold Card 3rd Gen
BAMA Member
67 Coupe, 69 Coupe, 74 Coupe, 84 SVO, 84 GT Turbo, 88 McLaren, 89 LX Sport, 03 Mach 1, 07 GT500, 14 GT/CS

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2022, 07:33:16 PM »
More info on powder coat wrinkle finish?
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2022, 11:12:27 PM »
Google cerakote and then call them.  Very user friendly.  I'm going to try cerakote on suspension and rear end parts.  Appears to be superior in every way to paint and powder but I haven't tried yet.  Would be interesting to see users thoughts.

Dan in Kansas

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2022, 11:29:02 PM »
Google cerakote and then call them.  Very user friendly.  I'm going to try cerakote on suspension and rear end parts.  Appears to be superior in every way to paint and powder but I haven't tried yet.  Would be interesting to see users thoughts.

Dan in Kansas

Know a restorer that used it on cast iron transmissions as a finish for the bare cast areas of the case and tailshaft housing and I've used it for exhaust manifolds in the past. Not cheap when compared to the cost of paint but there really isn't much comparison over time IMHO between the two. I can see finding a way to cure it could be a challenge for some and for suspension parts like tie rods not something that can be heat treated to the suggested temps when coating the cast sections of those parts
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2022, 01:19:58 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.  I was looking at the C series which is non-bake and has a very high temperature rating and hardness rating.  Looking at rear end, brake pieces and some suspension parts.  It is supposed to be extremely durable and very thin so factory striations etc.. won't be lost in coating thickness.  Besides wanting to hear users' thoughts and experiences, my holdback from ordering so far is trying to figure out which color best matches the bare metal suspension parts and the semi-gloss black for many parts.  I've watched to You tube testing and it seems like a very durable coating when compared to a lot of others.  Albeit they are probably biased towards gun and other treatments they know they are superior to.  A co-worker used it on his dune buggy pieces, and he swears by its durability.  Yes it is expensive, but if I only have to ever do it once, maybe the juice is worth the squeeze if colors actually match original colors.