Author Topic: protecting suspension components  (Read 1708 times)

Offline RocketScientist

protecting suspension components
« on: August 12, 2014, 10:12:39 PM »
I am working on a 1970 B2 where a lot of the front-end suspension components (strut rods, uca's, spring perches etc) have a shiny bare metal finish. From my experience, clear coating metal parts only last so long before you get oxidation under the coat which then requires remedial attention (usually cleaning and re-coating). Does anyone have experiencing on coating or painting these parts for increased longevity? I am all for a Concours finish but I am also mindful of preserving and protecting parts as I want the car to be around for another 100 years or so. Even with a pampered future unprotected steel will rust away eventually.....
Brad

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: protecting suspension components
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 01:16:43 AM »
Been covered in other threads a few times with allot of owners sharing.

I've tried painting and clearing (even going back with a brush and sealing the mounting points and attaching hardware) with little or no success. And repairign or touching up is a pain since you have the surrounding areas to consider.

Gave in to the protective oils - not perfect but allot easier IMHO to fix when the rust bunnys show up as they will.

Think the owners of the great unrestored cars are the best (have to be) maintaining natural surfaces. 
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline RocketScientist

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 09:24:15 PM »
Thanks for the insight Jeff. I use oils on my 67 and they work well but I am finding harder to crawl under the car as time goes on (must be an age thing). I swear that my springs are sagging more as I'm finding it harder to squeeze under the car each time.......

I also agree about the effort involved in maintaining those unrestored cars. Its hard enough keeping the restored ones pristine.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 09:30:11 PM »
Thanks for the insight Jeff. I use oils on my 67 and they work well but I am finding harder to crawl under the car as time goes on (must be an age thing). I swear that my springs are sagging more as I'm finding it harder to squeeze under the car each time.......I also agree about the effort involved in maintaining those unrestored cars. Its hard enough keeping the restored ones pristine.
Watch out leaving yourself wide open with this group ;D .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby