Author Topic: 68 steering column, What pieces should be in the collar? Maybe missing some.  (Read 1182 times)

Offline 1965GTFB

I started with a column that was out of a car with no TS switch in it.  Need to know what pieces should be in the collar area.  For example is there a retainer that goes under the turn signal switch that holds the bearing in place?  I have the snap rings on but nothing that would hold the bearing and upper shaft in place.

Now for the confession part I'm installing a 68 column in a 67 and using a TCP power rack. Right now it seems as though without a retainer to hold the bearing in place the steering wheel would pull right out.  The original shaft had to be separated to install the TCP lower portion of the shaft without a rag joint connector.  So the original upper section of the shaft(inner DD) slips into the TCP lower section(outer DD with short inner DD to attach u-joint).  Yes I have a call into TCP but want to make sure I'm not just missing some original part that was not on the donor column when I got it.

Pics welcome.

Is it just the TS switch that hold the bearing in?
Thanks
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 03:22:11 PM by 1965GTFB »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Don't have any idea on this modification (there is a surprise ;)

Mustangs Plus was cutting a 67-68 steering column the other day in prep for a video on the conversion (think they were using the same system)

Might want to check their web site or call the store and ask for David. He and Mark were working on it two weeks ago.

Believe that there has been numerous discussions like what your asking over on VFM - a much better place IMHO to some experienced readers
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline sportyworty

I have a few 68 tilts and can send you pics if you message your email address

Kerry