Author Topic: 69/70 Shelby GT350 Big Suspension White Shocks  (Read 5235 times)

Offline VikingNJ

69/70 Shelby GT350 Big Suspension White Shocks
« on: August 02, 2012, 12:54:12 PM »
I am wondering if there is anyone out there who is restoring and selling 69/70 Shelby Big suspension white shocks. I have found many forums that have offered the blue & black shocks but not the white ones. If there is someone please let me know.

On another topic does anyone have a photo or info what the gabriel strider shock should look like for use on the mustang/shelby. I recently found an unused one but want to confirm. Thanks for help.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 69/70 Shelby GT350 Big Suspension White Shocks
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 08:45:24 PM »
On another topic does anyone have a photo or info what the gabriel strider shock should look like for use on the mustang/shelby. I recently found an unused one but want to confirm. Thanks for help.

First the original shocks come up for sale  rarely just have to keep looking or place some wanted threads on some of the sites.

Not sure what you're specifically asking about in the second half of your post - forgive me.

Are you asking about fronts or rears?   Also there are at least two - three versions of both (front and rears) of the Striders depending on when they were made. On the front the bases can be smaller on other versions the upper washers are missing all together.

If your considering using older Gabriels the markings will be different but they can be painted (and decals attached) white to work. On those at least the adjustment markings should be the same but they will lack the AUTOLITE and other Ford markings.

You could post some pictures of the one you found and we could comment - just a thought

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 11:08:43 PM »
There is a guy who does a nice repro of the front and rear shocks. they are not adjustable like original but they are convincing otherwise. I know he does the blue shock but am not sure if has done any of the white shocks. He gets about 1500.00 for a set I think which is about half of what a genuine set would most likely bring. it takes him 2-3 months to build them once ordered. He does good work . For instance the GT500 white 4 speed shock is most likely the rarest 65-70 Shelby shock as it was on used on 4 speed GT500's and only from April until the end of production. He sells on ebay frequently .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline VikingNJ

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 11:41:37 AM »
Jeff and Bob,
Thanks. I will look on ebay for the one who sells shocks and inquire about the availability of the white shocks.

For the Gabriel shocks, I meant both front and rear. I have a front shock I got at Ford Carisle in June. I got it for $5 so I took the chance. I was hoping someone would post photos of known mustang applicable Gabriel shocks to confirm what I have is correct for mustang. I will look at the shock and post ident numbers so someone can confirm if shock is correct for mustang.

Looking back, in the early to mid 90s, BlackJack Reproductions produce a nice repro set of shock that I should have bought back then. Oh well.

Thanks for everyone's help and input.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 05:22:30 PM »
Jeff and Bob,
Thanks. I will look on ebay for the one who sells shocks and inquire about the availability of the white shocks.

For the Gabriel shocks, I meant both front and rear. I have a front shock I got at Ford Carisle in June. I got it for $5 so I took the chance. I was hoping someone would post photos of known mustang applicable Gabriel shocks to confirm what I have is correct for mustang. I will look at the shock and post ident numbers so someone can confirm if shock is correct for mustang.

Looking back, in the early to mid 90s, BlackJack Reproductions produce a nice repro set of shock that I should have bought back then. Oh well.

Thanks for everyone's help and input.
A picture of the shock you bought will be tons better then any ident numbers on the shock. Black jack were based on the strider shocks.Dave Irwin is still around but the striders are not .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 12:49:04 AM »

Still would be better to see a picture of what you bought but here are some examples

An original late white shock markings

Later version of Striders that are unlike the original upper tub design

Depends on what plant your car was built at since the threads on those match the Dearborn and NJ MADE IN CANADA shocks but not the typical San Jose supplier ;)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 08:29:51 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)