Author Topic: 1967 GT500 Valve Cover Variations?  (Read 2732 times)

1967 eight barrel

1967 GT500 Valve Cover Variations?
« on: December 07, 2016, 09:19:17 PM »
My Shelby had 427 cast covers. The left cover is "cut" for master cylinder clearance. I bought the vehicle in 1982 and last titled in 1977. It makes little sense that they would have been changed considering what is know of the original owner.
Have some early vehicles turned up with them in the past?

-Keith
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 09:42:02 PM by carlite65 »

1967 eight barrel

Re: 1967 GT500 Valve Cover Variations?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 03:18:07 PM »
Hello? Bueler???? Bueler?????? Anyone?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2016, 03:38:50 PM »
My Shelby had 427 cast covers. The left cover is "cut" for master cylinder clearance. I bought the vehicle in 1982 and last titled in 1977. It makes little sense that they would have been changed considering what is know of the original owner.
Have some early vehicles turned up with them in the past?

-Keith
The Cobra Lemans (all on one line) valve cover were used consistently through out 67 Shelby production. Besides the obvious fact that a 427 valve cover would be wrong on a 428 engine, there is no evidence from SA or observations on other cars to indicate the 427 cast valve covers were anything but a past owner add on. I believe the 3 true factory 427 67 Shelby's used the chrome pent roof valve covers and not the cast 427 style.  The 427 Cobra valve covers have been available for multiple decades . They have been available with or without cut fins on the driver side in case you felt that was compelling evidence for legitimacy for Ford factory installation.     
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 04:18:02 PM »
Bob,
I was told by an expert that some early vehicles had them. I have never observed any cast 427 covers. It's why I asked here. A much better source than someone who occasionally deals with a Shelby. I appreciate the input and will have to make another correction. It just baffles me that some of these changes were made and why. He's no longer alive to ask the hows and whys. Thanks again.

-Keith

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016, 06:39:19 PM »
Bob,
I was told by an expert that some early vehicles had them. I have never observed any cast 427 covers. It's why I asked here. A much better source than someone who occasionally deals with a Shelby. I appreciate the input and will have to make another correction. It just baffles me that some of these changes were made and why. He's no longer alive to ask the hows and whys. Thanks again.

-Keith
Kieth, your expert is apparently misinformed given that observation. You must have suspected something or you would have taken him at his word and not asked further. These types of owner personalized issues are commonplace seen . They are not so much seen today but in years past yes. I had my first 67 GT500 in 1972.  It was only 5 years old when I got it but at that point it had been repainted , engine replaced and modified (high compression and single four) koni shocks ,muffler shop replacement exhaust . At the time I didn't think anything of it. That was just the way things were.  My point being it was common to personalize the cars back then and given your dates more then enough time for the changes to take place.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2016, 07:36:29 PM »
Kieth, your expert is apparently misinformed given that observation. You must have suspected something or you would have taken him at his word and not asked further. These types of owner personalized issues are commonplace seen . They are not so much seen today but in years past yes. I had my first 67 GT500 in 1972.  It was only 5 years old when I got it but at that point it had been repainted , engine replaced and modified (high compression and single four) koni shocks ,muffler shop replacement exhaust . At the time I didn't think anything of it. That was just the way things were.  My point being it was common to personalize the cars back then and given your dates more then enough time for the changes to take place.

+1 my experiences with owning cars in the early years were the same and performance cars from the factory were the worst (didn't get kept stock for long) and were some of the first to get altered and modified. My wife's Shelby had been repainted, wheels changed and other small owner choices within the first 4 years. Plenty of other choices. Just be happy they didn't go with all the trends as the years pasted. Flared fenders, fender weld headers, big wing out back, speakers in the doors, trap door and rear quarters .......  ::)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2016, 10:02:55 PM »
Dang kids and their youth!
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2016, 10:40:29 PM »
Dang kids and their youth!

Wasn't always kids - especially when new.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2016, 11:51:08 PM »
Jeff,
I have NEVER Seen another vehicle with them, granted I have seen few early cars. That in itself made me suspect. I did ask where he referenced the information. One of Branda's catalogs.Enough said.
I am going to have to pick up a choke filter and valve covers now.. Joy!

-Keith

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2016, 12:51:05 AM »
Jeff,
I have NEVER Seen another vehicle with them, granted I have seen few early cars. That in itself made me suspect. I did ask where he referenced the information. One of Branda's catalogs.Enough said.
I am going to have to pick up a choke filter and valve covers now.. Joy!

-Keith
Brand doesn't sell the valve covers now but i think Jim Cowles does. The repros are nice. The main way you can tell repro from genuine is that the passenger side pcv opening in the cover is perfectly round where as the repro is bow tie shaped like the driver side. That detail is not seen once a grommet is installed.