Author Topic: Finishes on Various Underhood Components - 1970  (Read 2536 times)

Offline Bongoman

Finishes on Various Underhood Components - 1970
« on: April 11, 2010, 06:04:07 PM »
Hello.  Me again.  1970 Mustang Mach 1 w/ 351c built January 1970 in San Jose.

I am working on my engine compartment and need some information regarding whether certain bolts, screws and components were painted (or left unpainted).

- valve cover bolts (painted blue or unfinished)
- power steering dipstick (my PS pump originally came painted Ford blue but not sure about the dipstick.)
- master cylinder lid
- rest of the master cylinder
- steering gear box

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Bongoman
BongoMan

1970 Mustang Mach 1
351c2v
Serial no. 0R05H130405
Built 1/14/70 at San Jose

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Finishes on Various Underhood Components - 1970
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 11:40:49 PM »
I am working on my engine compartment and need some information regarding whether certain bolts, screws and components were painted (or left unpainted).

SUggest that you get a copy of the latest MCA Judging Rules - they will go a long way (though not complete nor perfect)

1970 Mustang Mach 1 w/ 351c built January 1970 in San Jose.

- valve cover bolts (painted blue or unfinished)

Not a ton of nice original pictures to check but of the ones I have of original cars I can not find any that were unpainted like we see on some of the small blocks

- power steering dipstick (my PS pump originally came painted Ford blue but not sure about the dipstick.)

Originally plated bright or silver zinc. Current belief (including me ;) is that they were in place when the pumps were painted so they are the same color as the pump. The plating caused the paint to chip off of the dipstick  over time

- master cylinder lid & rest of the master cylinder

The cap was also plated zinc but then (along with the complete master cylinder unit and booster if so equipped) painted semi-gloss black before it was installed

- steering gear box

- Body - bare cast iron (many owners are phosphating the bodies then lightening the color up through a number of processes)
- Zinc or bare steel bottom cap
- Dark heat treated pittman arm, adjustment and attachment (to rag joint) shafts
- Cover is bare new steel with dark (phosphate or heat treated cover bolts. Tag is bare steel
- Upper sheet metal nut is zinc

Note - when the picture was taken the rag joint lower bolt had not been dyed yet. Something seen on 68-up cars)

« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 11:43:04 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bongoman

Re: Finishes on Various Underhood Components - 1970
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 03:15:11 PM »
Thanks Jeff.  Once again you've saved the day!

I am in the process of acquiring the MCA Judging Rules.  I hope they limit my questions going forward.

If the original valve cover bolts were blue, were the valve covers and bolts painted on the engine?  If that was the case, there would be engine paint on the valve cover gasket too.
BongoMan

1970 Mustang Mach 1
351c2v
Serial no. 0R05H130405
Built 1/14/70 at San Jose