Author Topic: Horseshoe bumperettes on rear bumper  (Read 11655 times)

Offline 196667Bob

Re: Horseshoe bumperettes on rear bumper
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2015, 02:42:33 PM »
Okay, I think it’s time for me to “chime in” here. Before addressing Matt’s original Post in regard to the Horseshoe Bumper-ettes, I’d like to enlighten him a bit. Matt, you must be one of our younger members; J.C. Whitney Company began in 1915 as the Warshawsky Company in Chicago. Initially, they bought out old Dealers and even defunct manufacturers and sold true NOS parts. At some time (I don’t know when), they evolved into selling only aftermarket parts. They also brought in the name of J.C. Whitney. There was actually a time during the 60’s, where both a “Warshawsky Catalog” and a  “J.C. Whitney Catalog” were printed. This was “the place” for Model A Restorers in the 50’s and 60’s. In the late 50’s, J.C. Whitney also became “the place”  for aftermarket parts (tube grills, dual four intakes, Lake Pipes, etc.

Back to the Horseshoe Bumper-ettes. I want to expound a little on Jeff’s initial reply. First, a little background so you’ll know I’m not just “shooting from the hip”. I purchased my first Mustang, a 1966 Coupe, in 1976, just about the time the early Mustangs were beginning their resurgence. Since that time, almost 40 years now,I, have collected many,
many original Options and Acessories for mainly 1966 and 1967 Mustangs, and more importantly, documentation of the same. This documentation includes 1966, 1967 and 1960-68 Ford Master Parts Catalogs, Ford published Accessory Catalogs from 1965-68, Ford Shop Tips, Ford Times, Ford Technical Service Bulletins, Ford Buyer’s Digests, Ford Marketing Publications, Filmstrips and Records, Sales Brochures and Flyers, Ford and Aftermarket Ads for Mustang Accessories, various Ford Technical Publications, etc. – I think you get the idea.

That being said, I have never, ever, seen the Horseshoe Bumper-ettes listed as a Genuine Ford Accessory, and definitely not in any Ford Brochure, Catalog, etc. I would welcome any information to contradict this. As Jeff mentioned, it was fairly common practice for Dealers to carry Aftermarket parts. In the mid to late 60’s, accessories were a big thing. It was no secret that Accessories were a very high profit margin item, for both Ford and for Dealers. Dealers would carry popular Aftermarket items to draw customers, and then once they were “in the door”, would try to get them to also purchase additional Ford Accessories. There were even special Marketing strategies for Salesmen to promote Accessories along with the cars they were trying to sell. Some Dealers even carried this practice farther; an example is the Cigarette Lighter Map Lights that Jeff mentioned. This was a true, Ford catalogued Accessory, with a Ford Part Number. Some dealers realized that they could go right to the manufacturer and purchase the identical item, although not in Ford packaging, for much less than through Ford, yet sell at the Ford retail price, thus boosting their profits even more. (This practice is still carried on today).

The “Horseshoe Bumper-ettes” (notice the spelling with the hyphen, right off the box) that Matt shows in his initial Post were made by “S&R Mfg & Dist, Inc.”, located in Burbank, CA. I have a NOS set of these in the original box (exactly like the set that lancelot66 noted the link for), that I picked up some years ago. Unfortunately, I missed the matching front ones with the Horse Heads several years ago, and these were a match to the one Matt showed, not the round ones that Jeff posted the ad for.

So, in conclusion, the “Horseshoe Bumper-ettes” are NOT an original Ford part; were NOT made by Ford; and were not Catalogued by Ford. However, they could have been sold by various For Dealers.

Hope this helps clarify the “mystery” of the “Lucky Horseshoe Bumper-ettes”.

Bob
1966 Coupe, C Code, 3 Sp MT, 6T07C154XXX, Build Date 11/22/65
1967 Conv, C Code, C4, 7F03C154XXX, Actual Build Date 01/31/67
MCA 04909

Offline MattDoscher

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2015, 03:01:19 PM »
Thanks Bob for your insight into this discussion.  You and Jeff both seem to be in agreement that these were not original Ford accessories but rather aftermarket accessories of the period.  You seem to have a treasure trove of Ford information Bob!

thanks,

Matt
Matt Doscher

1965 Mercury Comet Caliente Convertible
5H25T582252

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2015, 03:34:36 PM »
And here I though the bumper-ettes were a little known Motown groups from the 60's.   Sorry but couldn't resist
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2015, 04:34:57 PM »
Thanks Bob for your insight into this discussion.  You and Jeff both seem to be in agreement that these were not original Ford accessories but rather aftermarket accessories of the period.  You seem to have a treasure trove of Ford information Bob!

Just as a general comment - not specific to this application as I haven't compared the two. For little accessories Ford did at times have the supplier make parts that were boxed (have no idea of who supplied or printed the box) items than then could be sold under a Rotunda, Ford or Autolite name and part number
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 196667Bob

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2015, 04:53:09 PM »
Jeff : I agree 100%. I believe that the Map Light/Cigarette Lighter was one such "animal".
MCA 04909

Offline 196667Bob

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2015, 05:06:14 AM »
Matt : I finally came across it - direct from page 3 of 1967 JC Whitney Catalog No. 239A - the "Lucky Horseshoe" Bumperettes that you and I have. What a bargain at $9.50 !
Bob
MCA 04909

Offline MattDoscher

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2015, 01:00:30 PM »
Thanks Bob!
Matt Doscher

5H25T582252

Offline dave6768

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2015, 01:48:26 PM »
So...a little old lady comes in to buy here new pony and sees the nifty bumper-ettes being sold in the part department display case.  She buys them and askes the dealer to install them before she takes delivery....presto...a dealer installed option before delivery.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2015, 04:59:28 PM »
Matt : I finally came across it - direct from page 3 of 1967 JC Whitney Catalog No. 239A - the "Lucky Horseshoe" Bumperettes that you and I have. What a bargain at $9.50 !
Bob

Thanks for sharing - have some of the JC Whitney catalogs from the same period but you got this one scanned before I did.

Honest Charley carried the round horse head style/version in their 66 1/2 catalog for only $7.95

But this is going off concourse a bit so I'll stop here. Maybe at some point will start a thread (had one on an old web site I had many years ago) in The Lounge for aftermarket period correct accessories. Many have been around for so long that some believe them to be factory or in many cases members have never seen many of them. There are allot especially the first 3 years of Mustang production - then they started disappearing

Jeff Speegle

Offline MattDoscher

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2015, 09:41:23 AM »
Thanks Jeff for sharing!  I don't think your getting off course, in my opinion the front and rear bumperettes are somewhat related.  There is a blue '65 convertible in my local area that has both the front and rear ones installed.

So...a little old lady comes in to buy here new pony and sees the nifty bumper-ettes being sold in the part department display case.  She buys them and askes the dealer to install them before she takes delivery....presto...a dealer installed option before delivery.

True.
Matt Doscher

5H25T582252

Offline 196667Bob

« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2015, 11:04:38 AM »
Matt : I think you may be missing Jeff's point. I don't believe he is saying that the front and rear bumperettes aren't related, I believe that his point is that delving into them any deeper than saying that they are not original Ford authorized accessories, and are "Aftermarket", goes beyond the scope and purpose of the Concours Mustang Forum. At least that's what I got out of his last reply.

Bob
MCA 04909

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2015, 02:18:00 PM »
............, I believe that his point is that delving into them any deeper than saying that they are not original Ford authorized accessories, and are "Aftermarket", goes beyond the scope and purpose of the Concours Mustang Forum...

What Bob wrote.

Don't know that the round versions were ever a Ford approved (part number, reboxed or anything close) like other examples
Jeff Speegle

Offline 196667Bob

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2015, 02:58:48 PM »
Neither were the rectangular ones (unless there is some obscure Parts & Service Letter noting otherwise).

Bob
MCA 04909

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2015, 09:18:12 PM »
Thanks for sharing - have some of the JC Whitney catalogs from the same period but you got this one scanned before I did.

Honest Charley carried the round horse head style/version in their 66 1/2 catalog for only $7.95

But this is going off concourse a bit so I'll stop here. Maybe at some point will start a thread (had one on an old web site I had many years ago) in The Lounge for aftermarket period correct accessories. Many have been around for so long that some believe them to be factory or in many cases members have never seen many of them. There are allot especially the first 3 years of Mustang production - then they started disappearing

Gawd those are uuuugly!
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline CBClassics

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2016, 05:42:20 PM »
I hate to bump an old thread but I am looking for the Mustang Bumper Guards with the Horse Head if anyone has any info please let me know where I can get these. Working on a 64.5 restoration.