Author Topic: Painting interior parts  (Read 4213 times)

Offline HomerJay

Painting interior parts
« on: February 25, 2015, 06:39:26 AM »
Hi folks,

have some black interieur parts that i would like to pint red. ( Dash Pad, Center Console, Kick panels, deluxe seat backs and so on.
Is ot possible to paint them that the colour lasts long, or doesnt make it any sence. Dont want to habe black spots in a few month / years.

Thanks a lot.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 04:17:18 PM by carlite65 »

Offline ruppstang

Re: Painting interieur parts
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 09:33:47 AM »
You should be able to dye the dash pad and console with vinyl dye but I would just buy new red kick panels. Be sure to follow the direction on the dye as the prep is very important.

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 09:35:55 AM »
for vinyl dye i recommend SEM products. and as marty said follow the instructions closely.
5F09C331248

Offline HomerJay

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 01:48:59 PM »
Cool, that helps me a lot.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 04:02:06 PM »
SEMS and others sell cleaners and a prep coat for the flexible vinyl parts that you might want to consider.

It's all about the preparation
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 12:50:51 AM »
Hi folks,
have some black interieur parts that i would like to pint red. ( Dash Pad, Center Console, Kick panels, deluxe seat backs and so on.
Is ot possible to paint them that the colour lasts long, or doesnt make it any sence. Dont want to habe black spots in a few month / years.
Thanks a lot.
Some additional information on the molded plastic pieces. Sometime in 1967 or 68, the suppliers of the console and other plastic parts, included a mold release in the material used. This was an industry wide procedure. The reason was to simplify the manufacturing process. The effect to you is that paint and epoxy won't stick unless the paint or epoxy is formulated to adhere to that type of material. Try the paint on a hidden spot (the back) first. Mold release was not included in 64-66 plastic pieces, but was definitely part of the molded material in 1969 and on. The reproduction plastic parts I've used appear to have the mold release included. There may be preparation steps that you could use.
Also, painting a light color, red in this case, on a black surface will come out darker, and you will have a tendency to apply additional paint which will fill up the original grain patterns.
Jim   
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline HomerJay

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 04:54:47 AM »
Thanks Jim. Didn't know that.
Was the factory mounted console painted or was it red plastic?

Offline Toploader

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 04:04:03 PM »
Some additional information on the molded plastic pieces. Sometime in 1967 or 68, the suppliers of the console and other plastic parts, included a mold release in the material used. This was an industry wide procedure. The reason was to simplify the manufacturing process. The effect to you is that paint and epoxy won't stick unless the paint or epoxy is formulated to adhere to that type of material. Try the paint on a hidden spot (the back) first. Mold release was not included in 64-66 plastic pieces, but was definitely part of the molded material in 1969 and on.

Good info.
76A-Y-D2-13H-72-6-6
1965 Californian Built Silver Blue Convertible

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 08:38:20 PM »
Thanks Jim. Didn't know that.
Was the factory mounted console painted or was it red plastic?

Consoles were originally molded in various color and not painted from the factory
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline HomerJay

Re: Painting interior parts
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2015, 02:49:20 AM »
Thanks Jeff!

Offline Ralf

• http://mustang-cabrio-67.jimdo.com/
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2019, 07:12:51 PM »
Does anyone know the material of the center console 1967?
ABS?
PP?

What type of glue (Epoxy) would be best to make repairs (cracks)?

- Plastex
- Devcon
......?

Thx
1967 Convertible 289, C4 Automatic, Built Nov 30 1966, SJ, DSO75.
Pictures: https://mustang-cabrio-67.jimdo.com/mustang-1967-impressionen

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2019, 07:20:50 PM »
Ralf,
Go back and read my reply, number 5. I know there's a "glue/epoxy" that works but you can't run down to the local Tap Plastics stor like I can.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.