Author Topic: battery shield color  (Read 5621 times)

Offline specialed

Re: battery shield color
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2017, 09:31:24 AM »
armond isn't that the heat shield we found on the 68 torino in ca.yard ?   Has  anybody found a green shield on a 69mustang from factory?  Have seen green shields in factory pictures in Magazines on early test 69 cj cars  but I have documented black shields on several original owner cj cars but they were built after jan 69 so don't know about any fall 68 built cj cars & it may depend on the plant supply changeover to black when the green shields were used up. 

Offline Armond

• Silver Level Subscriber
    • D'Agostini Restorations.com
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2017, 03:05:49 PM »
I am not sure what it came off of.  I did some trading for it a number of years ago with a customer, I restored his Boss 302.  As far as trimming, I thought they only trimmed them if they used the smaller battery.  It is one of my Favorites items I picked up for my car.  Sorry I high jacked the thread.
MCA#31064
rsz_1rsz_thumbnail_1_altered" border="0

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2017, 03:36:30 PM »
I haven't seen a greenish tint plastic shield on anything I've looked at or found
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Armond

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2017, 05:08:06 PM »
That's because no body re installed them!  I guess......
MCA#31064

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2017, 05:30:07 PM »
armond isn't that the heat shield we found on the 68 torino in ca.yard ?   Has  anybody found a green shield on a 69mustang from factory?  Have seen green shields in factory pictures in Magazines on early test 69 cj cars  but I have documented black shields on several original owner cj cars but they were built after jan 69 so don't know about any fall 68 built cj cars & it may depend on the plant supply changeover to black when the green shields were used up.
Ed is what is being referred to as the green shield also what some refer to as "gray" ? Or is the gray style something different?
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2017, 05:32:48 PM »
That's because no body re installed them!  I guess......

Yes allot of them got tossed but looking through yards for lots of years still found at least 100 over the years - also did look through the other 70's for comparison and for ones that would substitute for the originals

Ed is what is being referred to as the green shield also what some refer to as "gray" ? Or is the gray style something different?

Believe he's referencing the greenish one that Armond shared rather than the some times seen gray version
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2017, 06:11:46 PM »

Yes allot of them got tossed but looking through yards for lots of years still found at least 100 over the years - also did look through the other 70's for comparison and for ones that would substitute for the originals

Believe he's referencing the greenish one that Armond shared rather than the some times seen gray version
It may be my monitor but it could also be described as gray from my perspective looking at it . It looks more gray then green (my monitor) is the reason for asking .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline specialed

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2017, 07:56:14 PM »
I only refered  back to the color green in armonds post but the early version is grayish greenish & when you find them faded from heat & sun in yards out west they are a lighter color till you clean them off & get rid of the oxidation & corrosion from battery acid leak.

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2017, 09:49:44 PM »
My information has that green battery shield was an export-version only to Ireland....
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline Armond

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2017, 10:27:39 PM »
Since I am 20% Irish according to my DNA, that makes it even better.......
MCA#31064

Offline PerkinsRestoration

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2017, 12:02:02 PM »
 Armond is correct the gray heat shields have a green tint . Exposure to the elements tend to lighten them. I've pictured a good original and you can see the inside has a greenish hue. The picture of 69 Mach 1 original Paint 11,000 miles retains it's original battery heat shield.

Offline Armond

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2017, 03:17:11 PM »
Thanks for the pictures Bob!
MCA#31064

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2017, 03:41:21 PM »
Yes, great photo with lots of info.  Thanks,  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2017, 05:56:18 PM »
SO green is in the eye of the beholder - and how digital camera seem to reproduce it. Thanks - will stop looking for "green" battery shields :)
Jeff Speegle