Author Topic: 67 tie rod sleeve nut finish  (Read 4202 times)

Offline 67gta289

67 tie rod sleeve nut finish
« on: April 26, 2010, 10:18:31 PM »
When cleaning the rust from the nuts used on the tie rod sleeve bracket fastener set, to my surprise I found what appears to be red paint in the three square indentations that I would think represent the manufacturer.  See picture below.  Has anyone seen this before, and any word on it being correct?  I don't think that they would mark something like this when checked for torque - it would be too time consuming to hit all 3 squares dead on...

Thanks, John

EDIT - picture was lost, so I added two in its place
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 08:24:00 PM by 67gta289 »
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 67 tie rod sleeve nut finish
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 11:20:09 PM »
Have you tried to pick the "red stuff" out?

Had some where I dug the stuff out and it was a nylon or similar product that appeared to work like a lock nut. Have sen others where its just an indentation that deforms the nut slightly to preform the same purpose.

Of course the nylon based system means that the locking part of the assembly will not work as well after all these years and all the different adjustments they have likely been through
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 01:07:43 AM »
Agree with Jeff that the purpose was the same as a nylon locking nut.

The finish on those nuts is typically just a plain steel, no electroplating.  Most likely just had an oil film when new.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline sparky65

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 05:45:23 PM »
Yep its like a hole in the side of the nut filled with nylon.  Mine had the same thing.
Steve
1967 Pebble Beige  I6 Coupe built in Metuchen on Oct 26, 1966.
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 06:41:31 PM »
Same thing was used in 65-66 also...
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2016, 07:48:36 AM »
Yes, an old topic.  I wanted to add pictures of an NOS tie rod connecting sleeve lock nut for reference purposes.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2016, 09:51:55 AM »
I wonder if there is a way to re-inject the nylon on used examples (or simulate the nylon with perhaps a red locktite)

Perhaps this is available at AMK (I haven't looked yet)? If so, is the modern AMK version "correct"?
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2016, 03:31:30 PM »
I wonder if there is a way to re-inject the nylon on used examples (or simulate the nylon with perhaps a red locktite)

Perhaps this is available at AMK (I haven't looked yet)? If so, is the modern AMK version "correct"?
I've found the nylon inserts on the nuts to be worn but usable. I've bead blasted them then phosphated them (190-210F acid-water) and found the nuts to be usable. For whatever reason, original sleeves and accompanying hardware are not easy to find, and what does show up is rusted (East coast especially) beyond use.
As to the AMK kit (F-2858 for 66-73), I don't know how accurate it is. I do know there is a difference in years, I think that 64-66 are the same for at least V-8 cars, and 67 to 73 are the same (all cars?). Early (64-66) I-6 suspension is different, 5/16-24 (some are 5/16-18) vs 3/8-24 for V-8, so the AMK kit is not a universal kit. AMK does not list anything for 65. There is also a special bolt with a square section under the head (376179-S(2)) for the power steering sleeve. It's not reproduced.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2016, 06:55:23 PM »
I thought I should mention that there is a difference in bolt head makers markings,bolt thread (fine /course), and nut style between the 67/68 years. I will let others organize the differences if they care to .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67350#1242

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2016, 08:19:50 PM »
Have seen both red and white (clear) colors on the nylon inserts  - even a mixture on the same car.   The AMK versions I believe are clear.
67 Coupe SJ 11/16/66
67 GT350 SJ 2/01/67

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2016, 11:44:41 PM »
Have seen both red and white (clear) colors on the nylon inserts  - even a mixture on the same car.   The AMK versions I believe are clear.
A little red thined out paint will rejuvenated a faded used insert or make the AMK versions if clear more authentic looking.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Scott302

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2016, 10:41:32 AM »
F-2858 AMK kit is not correct for early cars.  The threads are 5/16-18 and look to be the 382634-S100 nut listed in the 70 Chassis manual.  The 34443-S7 listed in the 67 & 68 Chassis manuals are a similar top locking nut but in 5/16-24 thread.  The chassis manuals do not show the part numbers for the sleeve nut in any of the other years (unless I missed something).  The 372755-S shown in the Illustration book is another top locking nut in 3/8-24.  A nylon insert side locking nut in 3/8-24 would be 373036-S and is the smallest thread size of this type of nut I see in the Ford books.
Regards,
Scott
Scott Halseth
Ford Product Manager
National Parts Depot
MCA#01776

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2017, 07:24:31 AM »
I thought I should mention that there is a difference in bolt head makers markings,bolt thread (fine /course), and nut style between the 67/68 years. I will let others organize the differences if they care to .

I would agree there are different bolt head markings and as seen in the O.P.'s image (O P claims original to his mid-December built San Jose example), there looks to be two types found on a single 67 example, one type with an "A" centered on the bolt head and another with "R S C" around the 3 hardness marks (reposting OP's image here again for reference)

I am going over my tie rods and original hardware but I have mixed 3 full sets into my batches. (Using all 3 sets as a source of "best originals" to choose from). One set after cleaning in EvapoRust & tumbling are obviously not re-usable because of pitting, these can all be identified as NOT being from my car. The problem I have found is that I do not have a full 4 bolts in good condition in either the "A" marked bolts NOR the "R S C" marked bolts and now seeing the OP's bolts, I have to wonder if I had a mixed set also.

IS THIS POSSIBLE? (I would have thought all four bolts should be the same, but perhaps this is not true?)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 04:56:48 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2017, 04:18:26 PM »
......IS THIS POSSIBLE? (I would have thought all four bolts should be the same, but perhaps this is not true?)

Believe it was possible. This would have been something done when the adjuster was preassembled at the supplier one could have been assembled one week or month different from the other or at a different station that may have had the last of a new hardware supplier or one of the last boxes of the older supplier.

All get tossed into the same crate that gets delivered to the car assembly plant and the sub assembly (guys who's job was to put together the steering linkage) and he just grabs these two slightly different ones from the same crate
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2017, 05:10:32 PM »
Believe it was possible. This would have been something done when the adjuster was preassembled at the supplier one could have been assembled one week or month different from the other or at a different station that may have had the last of a new hardware supplier or one of the last boxes of the older supplier.

All get tossed into the same crate that gets delivered to the car assembly plant and the sub assembly (guys who's job was to put together the steering linkage) and he just grabs these two slightly different ones from the same crate

So if "known originals" are paired up the same (paired on the same sleeve), this would fall into this scenario as "possible". As I said, I had 3 sets of sleeves, clamps and bolts. The "rusty ones" were easily discarded from the scene after cleaning and obviously all from the same vehicle(even all had the same bolt "makers" marks). So working with the two remaining sets, I could also discard another whole adjuster sleeve setup since it had 3/8" fine thread bolts, leaving only 3 adjuster sleeves in "usable" condition and there are NOT any 4 bolts all the same makers out of these.

I've added my PS Cylinder clamps & bolts too. They used a different nut without the red nylon locks, they have a tapered style lock-nut (probably a better term, perhaps Jim will correct me ;) )

MY DANG OCD WILL NOT LET ME PUT IN MISMATCHED OR DAMAGED BOLTS! AAAaaaaah!
:o

Maybe somebody has some of the ones with the "A" in the middle. I have two very nice ones of that kind ;)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 05:37:23 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch