Author Topic: Spring 69 Shelby #1982 - Disassembly and repair thread  (Read 21152 times)

Online 69GT350H

Re: Spring 69 Shelby #1982 - Disassembly and repair thread
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2015, 10:22:53 AM »
Looks like I have more work to do. Comparing a photo from here to my car, I will need to cut some welds and re-position the lower fender to trunk. See the comparison of the finished work. How I got it on the left, fixed on the right.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 03:48:49 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2015, 02:21:45 PM »
Looks like I have more work to do. Comparing a photo from here to my car, I will need to cut some welds and re-position the lower fender to trunk. See the comparison HERE. Proper is on the left, mine is on the right.

That filler panel looks like it will have to come out and be reinstalled or at least trimmed up to allow the bottom of the quarter to come up and be fairly flat/level at the bottom.

Glad I threw a few extra pictures in there but expected that you were going to find additional issues :(
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 03:49:00 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Online 69GT350H

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2015, 04:40:57 PM »
That filler panel looks like it will have to come out and be reinstalled or at least trimmed up to allow the bottom of the quarter to come up and be fairly flat/level at the bottom.

Glad I threw a few extra pictures in there but expected that you were going to find additional issues :(

The weld line where the bottom of the quarter meets the trunk is too tall, the rear valence hits it. I knew it was going to have to be trimmed at the very least. Yes, the extra photos helped. Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 03:49:13 PM by J_Speegle »

Online 69GT350H

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2015, 10:36:22 PM »
Passenger side is correctly welded. Really makes me wonder what he was doing. I'll be taking the drivers side apart tomorrow with the air chisel and cutoff wheel. Not sure how far forward I'll have to go, I'm hoping only 6-8".
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 03:49:20 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2015, 11:12:13 PM »
Passenger side is correctly welded. Really makes me wonder what he was doing. I'll be taking the drivers side apart tomorrow with the air chisel and cutoff wheel. Not sure how far forward I'll have to go, I'm hoping only 6-8".

First I'm not a body guy - don't have the experience or pratences - but you might need to separate the whole bottom edge of the quarter to trunk floor to square that bottom edge up
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 03:49:28 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Online 69GT350H

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2015, 11:22:27 PM »
First I'm not a body guy - don't have the experience or pratences - but you might need to separate the whole bottom edge of the quarter to trunk floor to square that bottom edge up
It is a possibility, I'm just hoping not.  :)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 03:49:36 PM by J_Speegle »

Online 69GT350H

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2015, 05:22:08 PM »
This small part is done. And I only had to do a small section. You can see the work in my gallery HERE. And all you need is a few hand tools you find around your home.   ;)

« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 03:49:44 PM by J_Speegle »

Online 69GT350H

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2015, 02:13:34 PM »
Worked on the lip around the top of the trunk. Had to grind the high parts down and build the low parts up with the MIG welder. Takes time, but worth it as you can see HERE.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 03:49:51 PM by J_Speegle »

Online 69GT350H

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2015, 12:13:22 AM »
I know I'm jumping around a bit. Should I make different posts for each topic or should this thread be moved to another area for builds?

I documented the bottom of the car today and then started sand blasting the under side of the floor. I should check out some other threads, as I am still not 100% sure of the order of the applications. Looks like black seam sealer brushed on first. But the next is where I am unsure. The bottom of #1982 looked rusty, but now I wonder if that is a color that was sprayed on, or is it rust? It cleaned up nicely so I am saying not rust. Then there is a semi-gloss or flat black. This looks like an undercoating as it has that run and drip appearance in some areas. The trans tunnel is very thick, and a pass with the sand blaster only seemed to clean up the surface as opposed to taking it off like the floor pans. That is the under coating for sure.

Also, notice the dual under floor pan muffler hangers. From what I can tell, they are not original. Someone seems to have changed from the factory transverse to duals early in its life.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 03:49:59 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2015, 12:28:45 AM »
I know I'm jumping around a bit. Should I make different posts for each topic or should this thread be moved to another area for builds?

To keep things organized we could rename this one something like 69 Shelby #1982 Reconstruction or something like that or different threads for different areas of the car

I documented the bottom of the car today and then started sand blasting the under side of the floor. I should check out some other threads, as I am still not 100% sure of the order of the applications. Looks like black seam sealer brushed on first. But the next is where I am unsure. ................but now I wonder if that is a color that was sprayed on, or is it rust?

It cleaned up nicely so I am saying not rust. Then there is a .............semi-gloss or flat black.  This looks like an undercoating as it has that run and drip appearance in some areas. ....................................

Not sure what seam sealer your describing. There are allot of different application - some applied at different times.

For clarity we try and used Sound deadener to describe what was applied at the factory and Undercoating to describe the products applied at the dealer (mark up) or after delivery

Since your car was a Shelby sound deadener would normally be applied over the undercarriage and oversprays as discussed in other threads. Normally not as thick or heavy as dealer installed under coating but one over the other makes for a fair amount of product. The sound deadener would not normally be applied all the way out to the rockers all the way along the side of the car and was normally three fairly quick passes of the wand stopping before the rear end housing (exhaust not yet in the car)

For the original floor color - try and find a somewhat protected (from the elements and rust) couple of areas - scrap off the sound deadener and clean the surface well - even a little polish/wax can help. Further towards the better as its likely coated less with any possible body color or pinch weld overspray - plus what ever paint jobs this body has seen through the years.

Given when  # 1982 was likely built I would expect you will find a darker batch color as the original floor color

Also, notice the dual under floor pan muffler......... From what I can tell, they are not original. Someone seems to have changed from the factory transverse to duals early in its life.

Not unusual since the 70 up style sounded allot better and thought to flow better by many owners
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 03:50:07 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Online 69GT350H

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2015, 12:51:31 AM »
To keep things organized we could rename this one something like 69 Shelby #1982 Reconstruction or something like that or different threads for different areas of the car

Maybe a thread rename? I like the idea of not having to jump from area to area to follow the build. I know it started out as a photo request, but as you can see there is much more to it than that. But what ever works best for the forum and everyone else.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 03:50:14 PM by J_Speegle »

Online 69GT350H

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2015, 01:03:03 AM »
For the original floor color - try and find a somewhat protected (from the elements and rust) couple of areas - scrap off the sound deadener and clean the surface well - even a little polish/wax can help. Further towards the better as its likely coated less with any possible body color or pinch weld overspray - plus what ever paint jobs this body has seen through the years.

Given when  # 1982 was likely built I would expect you will find a darker batch color as the original floor color

Definitely looks like a dark batch color, and it was in at least two rear end accidents before I got it, so I am sure its been painted a couple of times. You can see here outside the frame rail:

the dark color in the 3 "box" areas, the reddish/orange area and the red over spray. All of this was very thin as the blaster took it right off. The sheet metal under it is in very nice condition, so as I mentioned previously, I do not think all that reddish/orange is rust. But I could be wrong. I'll take a closer look at the passenger side before blasting it off.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 03:50:22 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2015, 03:51:43 PM »
Maybe a thread rename? I like the idea of not having to jump from area to area to follow the build............

Renamed it - so we'll see how that goes.   

IF it gets too long we can then start a new one when the subject changes to (for example) painting, reassembly, interior or so on
Jeff Speegle

Online 69GT350H

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2015, 04:55:38 PM »
Renamed it - so we'll see how that goes.   

IF it gets too long we can then start a new one when the subject changes to (for example) painting, reassembly, interior or so on

Thanks Jeff. I'm also following Brant's rebuild of his 66. My end goal is a factory looking driver that performs a little better than factory. A weekend driver that I can take to a show, or the strip. I might even try my hand at a road course. Those that have followed my gallery have an idea whats in store, and hopefully all will be revealed here in the coming months.

Offline mwizz

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2015, 10:12:21 AM »
Enjoying this thread, thanks