Author Topic: Spring 69 Shelby #1982 - Disassembly and repair thread  (Read 17336 times)

Online 69GT350H

Re: Spring 69 Shelby #1982 - Disassembly and repair thread
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2015, 01:12:12 PM »
Enjoying this thread, thanks

Glad to hear!  I am a computer technician/Network Administrator by trade, not a professional mechanic or body man at all. All that I am doing I have learned myself from trial and error (or success). I do have to thank my father for letting me hand him tools as he worked on his boat when I was young. I am sure that is what got me started and gave me the confidence that this type of stuff could be done at home.

I have also done a lot of reading, watching videos, and asking questions. This is the 4th Mustang I have worked on, and I have rebuilt engines, transmissions, rear ends, done body work and painted the body myself in the garage. I do not claim to know everything, or much of anything, so if anyone has any questions or comments please feel free to voice them.

Online 69GT350H

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2015, 10:01:00 AM »
I took another turn this past weekend and worked on my front suspension. Remembering that I am not going 100% stock, but I am also not doing anything to the car that cant be undone, I bought an upper/lower control arm set off eBay to install the opentrackrracing.com DYI Upper and Lower Roller control arm kits w/roller spring perch. I did not use my control arms as this requires cutting and welding into the pivot points to install the roller bearing's. I only got one upper arm done, but did get some work one the second upper and a little work on one lower. To see all the work done on the one upper and in full size, see my PHOTO GALLERY.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 12:08:21 PM by David R »

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2015, 02:17:09 PM »
Interesting, it would be great if you could size your pictures larger. My old eyes are not that good.
Marty

Online 69GT350H

« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2015, 02:22:23 PM »
Interesting, it would be great if you could size your pictures larger. My old eyes are not that good.
Marty

Marty,

Click on this --> PHOTO GALLERY <-- link to see the page of thumbnails (as seen here) and then click on each thumbnail to see the larger pictures. I'd attache the larger ones here but each one takes up the entire screen.

Hope this helps with your eyes.  :-)

David

Online 69GT350H

« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2015, 12:21:37 PM »
I have to do a bit of work with the air cut off tool to remove the ball joint from the lower control arm, then use another hole saw to cut a hole to install a sleeve for the screw in ball joint. The other end of the lower control arm has had its bushing pressed out and a sleeve for a spherical bearing welded into place. Finally there is some bracing that is to be welded on the bottom side to "box" in the lower control arm to keep it from flexing. It will then be dipped to give it a proper appearance. I thing the upper control arm is supposed to be all natural? Leaving it totally bare will allow it to rust so it will need to be coated with something, a flat clear coat or steel color paint? At any rate all this work should smooth out the movement of the front suspension and remove any flex in the control arm area. I am also considering the 1" drop of the upper control arm to improve the geometry of the suspension.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 12:24:22 PM by David R »

Online 69GT350H

« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2015, 03:09:44 PM »
I read another thread on this forum where there was talk about containers to use to hold the paint when dipping the control arms in. As I will only be dipping two lower arms, I figured I'd use a long thin plastic bag similar to a newspaper wrapper, only something a little thicker.

Online 69GT350H

« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2015, 11:41:38 PM »
How does this look for possibly being the original batch color? It is a little darker than the Candy Apple Red. It also has a glossy surface, possibly from my cleaning it to get a good picture?

EDIT: The Candy Apple Red is on the left, and the Maroon color batch is on the right.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 09:19:19 AM by David R »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2015, 01:12:08 AM »
How does this look for possibly being the original batch color? It is a little darker than the Candy Apple Red. It also has a glossy surface, possibly from my cleaning it to get a good picture?

Looks closer and IMHO more likely red oxide

Not a finish I've seen used on other cars built around your cars assembly time but there always has to be the first one

I don't recalling if you've ever shared the real completion date for #1982
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 01:15:57 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Online 69GT350H

« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2015, 02:17:20 AM »
I know this car has been re painted, but what I am looking at is under other layers. I don't think that in the 70's someone re painted the under carriage. Here is something else, looks like a mark from the line dolly on the front frame rail around the mounting hole.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 02:20:56 AM by David R »

Online 69GT350H

« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2015, 02:19:41 AM »
I don't recalling if you've ever shared the real completion date for #1982

Per the Marti Report, April 14th, 4 days behind schedule.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2015, 02:29:44 AM »
I know this car has been re painted, but what I am looking at is under other layers. I don't think that in the 70's someone re painted the under carriage. Here is something else, looks like a mark from the line dolly on the front frame rail around the mounting hole.

Yes undercarriages would have not normally been repainted till late 70's  ::) on some cars.

No but overspray from a tape and spray can find its way all over the place. Might want to look for a nice spot up above where the trans was, maybe it was protected by oil and gunk over the years ;)

Thanks for the date now I can  better compare what you find with other know cars
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 03:45:14 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2015, 04:24:33 AM »
Per the Marti Report, April 14th, 4 days behind schedule.
Red oxide would be very out of the ordinary for a April 69 built Dearborn Mustang/Shelby if that is in fact what you are looking at. I have seen some redish maroon looking batch paint before. You may want to take a lot of pictures because Red oxide  will seem like a tall tale to Boss ,Shelby and Mustang people who are familiar with Dearborn assembly patterns given the build date.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Online 69GT350H

« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2015, 09:14:09 AM »
Red oxide would be very out of the ordinary for a April 69 built Dearborn Mustang/Shelby if that is in fact what you are looking at. I have seen some redish maroon looking batch paint before. You may want to take a lot of pictures because Red oxide  will seem like a tall tale to Boss ,Shelby and Mustang people who are familiar with Dearborn assembly patterns given the build date.
What I am looking at, and maybe its not as clear in the photos, is something that looks more like a Maroon color. If you look around the top right edge of the picture you can see there is black undercoating/sound deadener on top of it. I'll crawl under the car again this evening and see what I can find in the trans tunnel area. For the most part it is all coated black, so I might have to get some of that off to see what is under it.

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2015, 02:05:42 PM »
Not sure if the brake drums are still being used to support the car on the safety stands....if so, you might want to move the stands so the drums don't get warped or bent.

Sometimes very rewarding doing your own work...keep up the good work.
1967 S-code Fastback, GT, 3-speed manual, Metuchen, Scheduled 04-21-1967 - Actual 04-25-1967

Online 69GT350H

« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2015, 02:36:10 PM »
Not sure if the brake drums are still being used to support the car on the safety stands....if so, you might want to move the stands so the drums don't get warped or bent.

Sometimes very rewarding doing your own work...keep up the good work.
The Jack Stand was only there as a backup to the 2ton floor jack that was actually holding the car up. When I'm under the car, I like redundancy!