Author Topic: 37 Mile 73 Mustang  (Read 1878 times)

Offline rodster

1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 37 Mile 73 Mustang
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 11:39:24 AM »
http://www.oldcarsweekly.com/blogs/under-the-hood/37-mile-1973-ford-mustang-convertible-offers-rare-view-to-past?et_mid=764885&rid=241966749
I cringe at the thought of what was done  by the shop to get it running. I would wager a shop that knew the significance of a time capsule car better would have done things like rebuilding and master cylinder etc. instead of replacing. I have seen what other typical shops have done to get a car running in the normal straight forward way that it is typically done.  The rubber brake hoses most likely were usable too especially given I doubt someone was going to start driving the car on a regular basis. What a interesting challenge that would have been to detail it .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline rodster

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 02:17:14 PM »
Yea, it's a slippery slope when you start detailing a true survivor like this if the intention is to make it road worthy. The car could be left alone 100% and just enjoyed as a time capsule, pushed on/off the trailer.  Once the patina is gone, it's gone but cars are made to start, run and enjoy right?  In this case, I don't think you can have it both ways, the owner just has to pick what is right for them and go with it.

As far as value, is there more value in a true time capsule the isn't functional, or in a time capsule that's been made road worthy?  Guess it depends on the person with the checkbook.  ;)

Neat car either way...
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 04:44:15 PM »
Yea, it's a slippery slope when you start detailing a true survivor like this if the intention is to make it road worthy. The car could be left alone 100% and just enjoyed as a time capsule, pushed on/off the trailer.  Once the patina is gone, it's gone but cars are made to start, run and enjoy right?  In this case, I don't think you can have it both ways, the owner just has to pick what is right for them and go with it.

As far as value, is there more value in a true time capsule the isn't functional, or in a time capsule that's been made road worthy?  Guess it depends on the person with the checkbook.  ;)

Neat car either way...
It depends on how roadworthy you want it . The tires would be the biggest problem IMO. With replacement tires it could be made roadworthy along with messaging the other parts.  I believe all of the items mentioned replaced could have been salvaged to function like new but look untouched. Other things that had to be replaced could be made to look undisturbed. It takes experience in these things. I know I could do it because of I have learned how to over the years from some of my various teachers and observation and experimentation in other cases. How to mimic a patina finish can be more challenging then typical restoration of the same parts. It is a interesting rewarding challenge every time for me . I just don't get the opportunity to do it very often .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline rodster

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 11:07:42 AM »
I have a 67 390 convertible that would be a wonderful opportunity for you.  ;)
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2015, 11:59:13 AM »
Convertible lovers STILL hate on Ralph Nader today! (me too!) :D
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments