Author Topic: Concours Rules  (Read 4931 times)

Offline jwc66k

Re: Concours Rules
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2015, 12:42:40 AM »
more interested in volume sales. That's a fact of any manufacturer.
That may be true for many,
I've had to deal with bean counters in the High-Tech world for too many years. I guess their financial "nastygrams" still resonate with me, although I'm retired.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Toploader

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2015, 03:40:34 PM »
There is a lot effort going into documenting the cars and factory processes and so.
Also a lot effort in factory registers (e.g. think Marti).

But what about digging up the original tooling and save it? Is it gone? Scrapped?  Everything? Is some of it languishing in an obscure warehouse somewhere? The best reproduction parts will be made from original tooling. If research also went into the exact materials used, it would be genuine RE-production. AFAIK not many efforts go into this detective field of the hobby.

Reproduction parts need to be made by enthusiasts not business people. I believe ROI always will be lean if not negative for real quality reproduction, at least if tooling is involved.
76A-Y-D2-13H-72-6-6
1965 Californian Built Silver Blue Convertible

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2015, 04:04:07 PM »
There is a lot effort going into documenting the cars and factory processes and so.
Also a lot effort in factory registers (e.g. think Marti).

But what about digging up the original tooling and save it? Is it gone? Scrapped?  Everything? Is some of it languishing in an obscure warehouse somewhere? The best reproduction parts will be made from original tooling. If research also went into the exact materials used, it would be genuine RE-production. AFAIK not many efforts go into this detective field of the hobby.

Reproduction parts need to be made by enthusiasts not business people. I believe ROI always will be lean if not negative for real quality reproduction, at least if tooling is involved.
Much of the tooling after it is wore out gets scarped .Others languish in back lots of manufacturers slowly oxidizing into useless scrape. A few years ago I was at a friends place Classic Design Concepts in Detroit he had purchased all of the old tooling for making hundreds of parts for 55-57 T birds from Ford. I think he paid a little more then scrape rate for it plus shipping (which was still a lot) It was delivered in something like 10 semis .It was like walking through shonehenge the way the tooling was stacked up in his huge back lot. The cost of refurbishing the tooling to be usable  was going to be monumental but he was hopeful . He appealed to the different clubs ,forums etc. to get a idea of amounts and gauge acceptance of retail price estimates based on the expense. It was a dismal failure . There was not enough commitment given the expense it was going to cost to refurbish the tooling . FYI to remark tooling for 1/4 panels was in the 100's of thousands of dollars. He ended up scraping all of the tooling. What a lose to the T bird community. Daniel Carpenter did a similar deal with Ford buying much old Tooling . Many semis full. Some tooling I was told was too wore out to reuse others were good and many more are still waiting for Daniel to get time to bring to market or not depending on demand. That was a success story .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2015, 08:40:25 PM »
I contacted Virginia Mustang regarding the heater plenum awhile ago and this was the response I got back, "We talked with a manufacturer to see if we could get some made.  However, we feel this will not come about as there is nobody out there today that molds paper products."  I guess once all the original good/decent plenums are exhausted or deteriorate over time we are stuck with what is out there...
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2015, 10:11:57 PM »
...there is nobody out there today that molds paper products...

Not true! Surprisingly, the exact technology is still in common use. I've been looking into what it would take to reproduce the plenums, but honestly it's not likely that I could find the time to commit to such a project. I suppose that would depend on how much demand there is for original-material plenums, and how much people would be willing to pay. I plan to contact a few suppliers to see what the costs would be.
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2015, 11:53:49 PM »
I contacted Virginia Mustang regarding the heater plenum awhile ago and this was the response I got back, "We talked with a manufacturer to see if we could get some made.  However, we feel this will not come about as there is nobody out there today that molds paper products."...........

All it takes is one hobbyist that want to see it done.  Know that  West Cougar has a reproduction program where they help get the pieces made, you help front the $$$'s and get a piece of the pie

Think we've gotten far enough off thread from Concours Rules topic???
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 05:38:58 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)