Author Topic: 1968 Power Steering Pump Support 1968 S-Code No A/C  (Read 537 times)

Offline TonyH

1968 Power Steering Pump Support 1968 S-Code No A/C
« on: April 29, 2018, 11:00:52 PM »
Looking for some help identifying a power steering pump support for a 1968 San Jose S-Code with no a/c.  Build date was 2/23/68.  I've seen two types of these, one with large numbering and one as in the attached photo.  I know the finish is wrong but I'd like to use this if it's original to the car.  Build is a concourse driven.  I appreciate any assistance.  Thanks!
Tony

Driven San Jose 2/23/68 8R02S1427XX
Lime Gold GT Fastback

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 1968 Power Steering Pump Support 1968 S-Code No A/C
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 01:43:22 AM »
Looking for some help identifying a power steering pump support for a 1968 San Jose S-Code with no a/c.  Build date was 2/23/68.  I've seen two types of these, one with large numbering and one as in the attached photo.  I know the finish is wrong but I'd like to use this if it's original to the car.  Build is a concourse driven.  I appreciate any assistance.  Thanks!
There are were two types of pumps supplied to SJ as well as the other plants. Unless you knew what pump was on a car close behind or close after it will be hard to tell for sure which pump came on your car for certain .That is unless you are 100% for sure it is original to your car. It could easily be ether one. Looking on the bright side ether one will look correct as long as it is detailed properly.  One was the Ford Thompson which was a blue teal metallic (kind of a slop paint because it varied in shade somewhat). The other was TRW which was a semi gloss black. the tag on the back of the pump indicated which was which. A "F" on the second line for Ford Thompson and "W" for TRW. with all of that said the small letter/number engineering number like in the picture is a TRW made bracket which would go with the "W" marked tag painted black pump. The large letter/number is for the Ford Thompson "F" marked blue teal painted pump. Of course you will never see the engineering number once mounted but you wanted to know.     
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline TonyH

Re: 1968 Power Steering Pump Support 1968 S-Code No A/C
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 07:39:21 AM »
Thanks Bob!

I have a Ford Thompson that I’m putting in the car.  Original pump was replaced by previous owner with an aftermarket part so no idea if the bracket was swapped as well.  I’ll probably match the parts if I can find a good one.  Thank you for clearing this one up.
Tony

Driven San Jose 2/23/68 8R02S1427XX
Lime Gold GT Fastback