Author Topic: 71 429CJ XR7 Cougar Rebuild - Dec 70 Built  (Read 5171 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
71 429CJ XR7 Cougar Rebuild - Dec 70 Built
« on: July 22, 2015, 02:50:45 AM »
Though it is NOT a concours restoration this thread I originally posted on the Classic Cougar Community Forum I thought some of the pictures and info might help someone doing one in the future. I plan on using this as my driver for a while once road ready. Will not focus or spend time with the few "improvements" so that I stay within the parameters of the site ;)

Car is a fairly early car so it has some of (what I've learned through the process) the early odd ball details

For the number crunchers

According to http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com showed 26 of this engine and body style known out of 154 originally built. (217 was the total number of C code Cougars built)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Not really a restoration as I'm taking a few liberties with this car. Nothing that can not be correct with little effort.

As always never progressing fast enough (too many other projects) and had problems with the first paint shop I used.

Hope the pictures and details help someone else along the way with their efforts.

What I started with and the story on how i got the car.

Purchased this Cougar (only older version I've ever owned) back in the 80's when I was buying as selling allot of classics (mostly Mustangs and Shelby's) Got it from a local guy who's parents purchased it originally. He had been a bad a** as one point and had (at time of purchased) started attending a local church and wanted to sell the car to have the tattoo's on his face (did the Charley Manson thing) remove as the other church members were looking at him a little funny.

Car was pretty original (most of the original paint was still there) and fairly rust free (not as perfect as most of the local car but not bad). Drove the car a few months and it developed some piston noise so I parted it with the others for about 25  years.

Then about five years ago I figured I would rebuild it as my daily driver and the fun began

« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 05:10:52 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 71 CJ XR7 Rebuild
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 02:50:52 AM »
For the concours types - a copy of the Marti report and some of the paint marks found on the car

Not restored just cleaned up a bit and stripes reapplied

C6 dip stick and tube marks

Front springs - only found the over/under mark

Original hose

Headlight assembly with date

« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 05:31:33 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 02:51:11 AM »
Current (well fairly) stage of the rebuild

One change was to a NOS XR7 kilo speedo (export/overseas speedo) I found years ago. Get a fair amount of comments about it when they see "top" speed and think is mph ;)

« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 05:16:20 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 02:51:29 AM »
Original paint details that we're reproduce on the car again

Hood edge black out./ Dusting of paint from one exterior repaint/tocuh up

Front valance top and bottom

Front fender black out

« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 05:18:19 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 02:51:48 AM »
More PICTURES!!

OK

Black out details of the original grill - certain sections of the grill were sprayed black to make them "disappear" from view

Horizontal support bars

Support leg

Grill emblem mounting area

« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 05:19:24 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 02:52:08 AM »
Some additional pictures taken during the process

Found the rear valance blacked out along the upper edge (under rear bumper)

Original dated AC clutch and pulley assembly

As mentioned - not a restoration (going to drive this one) so a quick clean up and some new parts. With a few concours details added/retained.

As found in the engine compartment batch or slop gray was also used/applied to part of the front bumper mounting assembly (as labeled)

« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 05:20:50 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 02:53:08 AM »
Oh this is taking for every by most of you know the tune. Lately its the power steering

Anyway - bottom of the hood detailed (will post pictures of the inspector stamps that were returned to the bottom) with the windshield washers and the black out. Ready to be installed. Though it's being built as my daily driver its hard to ignore the concours details after doing it for all these years. Guess its will not hurt the final product much ;)

Another installment - Progress is slow as usual. Only getting one day a week in on this one

Basically got everything done under the hood other than charging the AC. All new (new style) seals in place last week, carb rebuilt and all the settings done. Again -  not a full restoration - did take a few liberties, sort of in the spirit of the original Resto Mod or in some areas Day #2 idea. At this point only intake, carb and ignition along with the  supporting hardware. Should have the Quadrajet but it's sitting on the shelf for now.  Interior I did the Kilo (220 kph) and the radio (with hidden speakers) as changes.

Time to install the fenders - but have to prep them first. Rear edge black out returned.

Mask, rough with a pad, clean and shoot. NOTE - I left on the original sound deadener on the back side of the fender. This will be overcoated with a fresh coat once the fender and splash shields are installed to give the factory look

I am missing one side of the fender rear edge filler piece. Too bad someone is not reproducing these but understand since they were used only for a short period - not many to sell to. Will leave the one off until I get a pair

« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 05:27:33 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 02:53:17 AM »
Could not help myself (considering my background) from making up some paint inspector stamps and laying an a few in the proper locations. Still need to make a different one for the doors. Not easy to see the white on the bright yellow

« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 05:28:33 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 71 429CJ XR7 Cougar Rebuild - Dec 70 Built
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 02:55:19 AM »
One more small step :)  with one of West Coast Cougar's rechromed front bumpers. Hood latch striker is not installed yet - the reason the hood sits up a little. ;)

The bumper is attached to the frame with two large bolts per side - one is threaded into the frame rail and other passes through a hole to which you add a washer and large nut .

Ok the job is pretty much done - well at least for now. Got a few bugs to work out as I start driving it more.

Did have Boyds on it ( what I had sitting around) but they just didn't look right. Really wanted to run the original rally/style steel wheels but they were a little small and not allot of choice for tires.

Choose to have them punched out and enlarged a bit ;)  Now I need to find some trim rings to fill in that new gap. Right now they certainly give a cop car look.

Told you it wasn't a restoration

Not the original dealer but a local one. Found this decal a long time ago and figured this was a good place to use a reproduction of that decal - sort of fits

« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 05:30:33 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 10:51:58 AM »
Very nice, Jeff. 
Does this car also have the 3 pieces of aluminum trim at the back of the hood and fenders?
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 02:45:31 PM »
Very nice, Jeff. 
Does this car also have the 3 pieces of aluminum trim at the back of the hood and fenders?

Yes
Jeff Speegle

Offline preaction

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2015, 11:18:20 PM »
Is that the engine that was rated at 370HP ?
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2015, 01:02:32 AM »
Is that the engine that was rated at 370HP ?

That is what some of the ads said but they didn't show any difference or even mention differences between the CJ and SCJ
Jeff Speegle