Author Topic: door wire harness  (Read 6526 times)

Offline 67gta289

Re: door wire harness
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2015, 06:30:50 PM »
67gta289, what is the ouside diameter of the tubing? Do you have a caliper or micrometer to measure wall thickness?

O.D. = 0.294", I.D. = 0.250", wall thickness = 0.022"

I remember where I got the donor material from - was from a couple of O2 sensor extension cables left over from a project years ago.  Score for no throwing it out.  Now if only I could find where I put that darn xxxxx...
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2015, 07:56:05 PM »
O.D. = 0.294", I.D. = 0.250", wall thickness = 0.022"

I remember where I got the donor material from - was from a couple of O2 sensor extension cables left over from a project years ago.  Score for no throwing it out.  Now if only I could find where I put that darn xxxxx...

OK, here's my conjecture: the tubing is flexible insulating vinyl. Similar to (perhaps the same as) standard electrical tape. I've found a couple of sources online for .250 ID x .020 wall thickness vinyl tubing. Waytek comes up first in the search, and takes credit cards. They require a minimum quantity of tubing for any given line item, but I do not see a minimum dollar value for an order. For this size they have a minimum of 100 feet, at $0.145 per foot. That's 14 bucks for a spool plus shipping.

http://www.waytekwire.com/item/20224C/1-4-Vinyl-Tubing-Black-100-/

Disclaimer  ::): I haven't actually purchased any, and I do not have the same wiring assembly that you have. So I'm going off of appearance, knowedge of similar tubing used in other Mustang electrical assemblies (light socket pigtails etc.), plus some research. So please don't be mad if I'm wrong!  :)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 07:45:37 PM by WT8095 »
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2015, 08:19:40 PM »
So about 30 cents product needed to do 1 car, but you need to buy enough to do 50 cars.

Start taking orders John. Figure out the cost to do one car including your time and offer it as a service.  Restoration work is often billed at or around $75/hr.  ::) so going by that, and if you can build both harnesses in a half hour or less, it would be deemed profitable when compared to an "already done" reproduction Alloy Metal harness.

OK, sorry about the sarcasm :D  I would consider fixing mine too if it truly seemed reasonable or if the reproductions epically failed but for a car such as I have with the Deluxe interior, door speakers AND the Door Ajar wire (total of 5 wires) splicing all of them up to 2-times each to replace the wire in the flex-zone seems to be a lot of work to do, with what is already available and done without any splicing. That's the nickel version of my 2 cents.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2015, 08:19:40 PM »
Nice research - seems like all assumptions are very reasonable.
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2015, 08:21:18 PM »
So about 30 cents product needed to do 1 car, but you need to buy enough to do 50 cars.

Start taking orders John. Figure out the cost to do one car including your time and offer it as a service.  Restoration work is often billed at or around $75/hr.  ::) so going by that, and if you can build both harnesses in a half hour or less, it would be deemed profitable when compared to an "already done" reproduction Alloy Metal harness.

OK, sorry about the sarcasm :D  I would consider fixing mine too if it truly seemed reasonable or if the reproductions epically failed but for a car such as I have with the Deluxe interior, door speakers AND the Door Ajar wire (total of 5 wires) splicing all of them up to 2-times each to replace the wire in the flex-zone seems to be a lot of work to do, with what is already available and done without any splicing. That's the nickel version of my 2 cents.

We posted absolutely simultaniously Rather funny!
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2015, 08:37:01 PM »
Yeah.  I can see you are trying to get my goat on a Friday night  8)

I don't see getting into competition with Randy aka MidLife, but perhaps when he hangs up his soldering iron, it may keep me busy and out of trouble.
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2015, 09:49:52 PM »

Thank you. I like to learn about what materials and methods were used originally, even if it turns out to be impractical for a do-it-yourself situation. Hopefully I've got it right, but if not I'm counting on someone to post a correction.
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2015, 09:50:13 PM »

I need to increase my prices!

I don't see getting into competition with Randy aka MidLife, but perhaps when he hangs up his soldering iron, it may keep me busy and out of trouble.
  I don't solder unless I have to!  I usually end up burning my fingers...
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com