Author Topic: Correct application for cross-hatch windlace vs. grained windlace?  (Read 1240 times)

Offline drummingrocks

I was wondering what kind of information is out there regarding the cross-hatch windlace.  A lot of the '65-68s I've done over the years had already been restored when I got them, so the original windlace was long gone.  In the days before anyone was making the cross-hatch design windlace, I just used whatever reproduction was available and called it a day. 

What was the situation with the two different windlace designs?  I have a couple of original Metuchen cars, both '66 models, both with the cross-hatch texture, but beyond that, I've never been paying attention enough to make out a pattern.  Was this a plant-specific thing?  A date-specific thing?  Is there a general cutoff date where one style was phased out and the other phased in?

Thanks!

Edit: Added a link to the cross-hatch design:  https://www.npdlink.com/store/products/windlace_black-182111-0.html
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Correct application for cross-hatch windlace vs. grained windlace?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 04:54:53 PM »
Don't know that anyone has focused on studying the subject. Have found some general practices between early 65 into 66 San Jose production (smooth verses cross hatch pattern) as well as all the different reproduction supplied over the years.

Allot of cars have had their interiors redone in the 80's so things done 30 years ago look like original to owners today.  Would be a really tough subject to documents by ones self when you add in all the different plants and years who possibly used different suppliers like many parts.

Just takes someone to choose it as a focus and start ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)