Author Topic: Wiper motor 72 Mach 1 351C Q CODE  (Read 5421 times)

Offline Baz70

Wiper motor 72 Mach 1 351C Q CODE
« on: August 17, 2015, 08:04:20 PM »
hi folks, I'm new to this site, seen Somme interesting posts on this so thought I'd kick off with a question and hope someone can shed some light.

I have 1972 Mach 1 in pretty good original condition. I decided a few weeks back to tear down top of engine and surrounds and clean and paint parts, to as near original factory condition as possible. Not concours standard ( I know, why am I here then !! Lol) but to a good a standard that I would be proud of.

Ok, to the question. I seem to have a non standard wiper motor. Anyone had the same ? Did previous owner paint it ? According to other posts on the topic the wiper motor outer casing should be black with a date stamp. Would be interested to know what folks think. I haven't been able to remove wiper motor as not sure how to separate from wiper arm linkage, any advice welcome. Also noticed some surface rust in cowl which will need attention at the same time.

Thanks.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Wiper motor 72 Mach 1 351C Q CODE
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 09:11:05 PM »
You posted the picture upside down but doesn't matter

Easy to see that a PO got "creative" with a blue rattle can of spray paint. Apparently didn't like the two tone white and blue paint job they tried first  ::)

Also hacked the wires too  :(

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Baz70

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 03:55:54 AM »
Haha thanks for the response, didn't realise they tried painting it previously. Good spot on the wiring hack, is it possible to buy that wiring of should I be able to make up anew set ?

Offline nham3407

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 10:17:11 AM »
Here is a photo of my restored motor.  Had to get a rubber stamp made with the original numbers and date.  It is a little tricky getting the number stamped on the round housing, but after a couple of attempts I was happy with this version.
67 GT S-Code, San Jose, 06/67
72 Mach 1, Dearborn, 01/72
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 12/67 (Red)
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 6/68 (White)

Offline nham3407

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 10:30:36 AM »
Here is a picture off of a 71 Boss that went through Bob Perkins collection

Offline GT500KR

• Charlie Ping
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 10:49:40 AM »

Easy to see that a PO got "creative" with a blue rattle can of spray paint.
Also hacked the wires too  :(

Looks like a typical rebuilt unit, many brands were painted a generic color for warranty identification, and supplied without a plug to fit many applications.
Current Project:
64.5 Black DB Cpe
5F07D1131XX  4/14/64

The stable:
65 Ivy Green Coupe 4SPD
68 Candy Apple Red GT500KR 4SPD FB
70 Grabber Blue Boss 429
86 JalapeƱo Red GT  5SPD
91 Emerald Green Saleen Conv. 5SPD
03 Sonic Blue Cobra Conv.
07 Black GT500 Cp

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 01:07:36 PM »
The gearbox cover is flat, not embossed like the photos other folks have posted. I can't say if that's correct or not; just pointing out a difference I noticed.
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline nham3407

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 03:30:37 PM »
WT8095, I would agree on the stamping difference noted on BAZ70's part.  I do beleive the other comment could be correct on a service part or later model year replacement. Clearly the wire harness has been spliced under the heat shrink.  I have documented numerous known original cars and have not seen a flat gearbox cover on any originals. 

BAZ70, if you would like to go back to original you may want to consider finding another motor assembly.  To your earlier point about how to remove it there is a clip inside of the cowl area attaching it to the wiper linkage.  Remove the plastic screen by gently prying on the sides where you see a small indentation in the edge of the plastic.  Look into the cowl just behind the wiper motor and you should see the internal arm that attaches to the wiper linkage.  The clip has a small tab on top to keep it secured to the arm pin and linkage.  Lift that clip slightly with a long narrow screwdriver and push the clip down from the slot it slides onto the arm.  Try not to drop the clip as they can get lost in there.  Next you can unbolt the motor from the cowl and fish it off with the arm through the hole in cowl under the motor.

Since you are making room in the cowl now would be the good time to look at the rust issue and address it.  That area is one of the most rust prone I have experienced.  Take your time to clean it and treat it before reassembly.  If you can't cut it out you are trying to hold it at bay as long as you can.

Best wishes and PM me if I can help or throw it out to this very knowledgeable group.

Offline Baz70

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 05:14:59 PM »
Guys, you are awesome, I've been on a few forums and this is the first one I've come home to after a long day in the office with a smile on my face, the level of knowledge ( bah gearbox cover !) and restored wiper motors are amazing. You've certainly given me some food for thought. I will definitely clean out cowl, it's in pretty good condition from what I've seen bar surface rust, car was garaged most of its life, then to remove wiper motor  and either try to restore it to standard above or replace it if needed. I have a few more newbie (concours newbie) questions coming up over next few weeks. Will keep posted on progress.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 06:59:02 PM »
Just a mention but the picture I posted is of an original (very low mileage one) - I rarely post any restored car pictures. If I do - I'll label it as such
Jeff Speegle

Offline Baz70

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2015, 08:10:52 PM »
It's a good guide post, at the least I'll remove and inspect, sort out wiring and paint the main body of the motor satin black.

Offline Baz70

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2015, 09:31:09 AM »
Ok I've removed and dismantled the wiper motor. As per earlier suggestions, the motor is a remanufavtured part, previous owner probably had a faulty motor in the seventies and had it replaced, hence colour change and spliced wiring.

I've decided to keep existing motor rather than replace as it appears on the surface to be period correct, and you know what, it's part of the car's history so if the original part failed I think the replacement part has earned its keep :)
I'm going to repaint the main body today with eastwoods under hood black paint with undercoat first.

Does anyone know what colour the end part should be ? I would like to keep it reasonably factory correct, looks like it's a chromium plated covered lid ?

Also, and am in 2 minds, should I replace the spliced wiring ? Can you buy factory correct wiring or after market only ?

I'll post pics shortly. Anyone got pics of internal workings as the springs have come out. Thanks
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 06:01:25 PM by Baz70 »

Offline Baz70

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2015, 10:01:52 AM »
Some pics attached. Oops added dupes in error
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 06:01:51 PM by Baz70 »

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2015, 04:05:12 PM »
Also, and am in 2 minds, should I replace the spliced wiring ? Can you buy factory correct writing or after market only ?

Even if the splices were done properly (can't tell through the shrink tubing), they stand out as kind of a hacked repair. I suggest replacing them for appearance sake if nothing else.

No harm in keeping the current unit (not concours of course), but by the time you figure out how to reassemble it and replace the hacked wiring, you would likely have less time & money invested by replacing it.
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2015, 05:48:51 PM »
+! on just replacing it. Doubt (sorry) that 71-73 wiper motor is a very expensive item that was likely shared with 3-4 other Ford and Mercury models of that year.

Not worth messing with IMHO
Jeff Speegle