Author Topic: 68/69 Mercury Cyclone pinchweld blackout  (Read 2901 times)

Offline 1969 Cale II

68/69 Mercury Cyclone pinchweld blackout
« on: August 20, 2015, 12:44:35 AM »
These photos are from 2 different 69 Cyclones and a 68. I also have another 69 that has the same treatment. All Cyclones came from the same plant and all the cars I have looked at have brush painted pinch welds. These are all unrestored, 4 cars the same, I see a trend. Looking at the photos you can see how sloppy the brush line is where it rolls up the rocker.
Chris

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 68/69 Mercury Cyclone pinchweld blackout
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 06:34:10 PM »
In my observations when the spray jet is close to the body (applying the black out) the top edge takes on a solid but wavy line as the air pressure pushed the paint uphill along that edge. l When its a brush stroke the brush fibers can be identified

Was there overspray on the undercarriage - or on the panels that hung down below the rocker edge?

Besides blacking out the pinch weld visually the panels that hung down were also suppose to be"made invisible" to the eye - the purpose of this process. Brushing was only normally done to hide panels if the spray was missed, slipped or the spray application broke down from what I've seen

Looks so on the lighter colored car - and that would not take place if the pinch weld was brushed.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 1969 Cale II

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 12:23:23 AM »
With out sounding rude, I know the difference between brush and spray. I would not have posted these photos if I was quessing. What does't show in some photos is the end marks that the brush painter left. Very defined line on the upper part and no overspray under car. Some of the brushing is pretty sloppy.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 05:27:44 PM »
With out sounding rude, I know the difference between brush and spray. I would not have posted these photos if I was quessing. What does't show in some photos is the end marks that the brush painter left. Very defined line on the upper part and no overspray under car. Some of the brushing is pretty sloppy.

No problems - have seen some posted where the poster took the wavy top edge as an indication of a brushed applied black-out. Since you have confirmed the brush marks then that is what you have found.

Since I've not focused on just Cyclones I must ask what plant were the assembled at in 68?  Were they only built in 69 at the same plant?  Guessing like the Mustang and Cougar the Cyclone and some of the Torino's were built on the same line
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 1969 Cale II

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 08:35:55 PM »
Cyclones were built at Lorain Ohio and the Talladaga's were built in Atlanta, I am not sure if any fastback Fords were built at another plant. Production for 68/69 Cyclones were just over 6000 each year, pretty low numbers for a body style

Offline 1969 Cale II

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 11:50:13 PM »
A little more info on production numbers. 68/69 cars were all built in the same plants. Around 21,000 Cyclones total for the 2 years, all built at Lorain, Ohio. There were around 197,000 Ford fastbacks made in the 2 year body style at Atlanta, Kansas City and San Jose