Author Topic: What do the judges think... ??  (Read 1596 times)

Offline Andrew@MagMustangs

• MagMustangs: Original Parts for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs
    • MagMustangs
What do the judges think... ??
« on: October 01, 2015, 05:04:05 PM »
..about all of these new reproduction parts with part numbers, logos, etc. Claimed to be produced from original molds, yet superior quality, and so good that the judges can't tell the difference. Are you guys/girls accepting parts like these ? Or, doing anything to 'combat' the 'deception' taking place by any possible owners trying to pass off repro parts as originals? It seems like Ford will allow anything to be made as long as they get their royalties, and it makes me wonder what things will be like 20 years from now when these freshly restored cars are no longer in their prime. There will be more 'Original' parts on the market than cars that were produced.
MagMustangs: Vintage Mustang Enthusiasts. We have Original Factory Parts for 1964 1/2-1973 Ford Mustang.   Like Us On Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/MagMustangs   Follow Us on Twitter. @MagMustangs

Offline 67gta289

Re: What do the judges think... ??
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 05:34:01 PM »
That's a loaded question if there ever was one.  Are we talking MCA based shows?  What class or classes?  There is no one size fits all answer.

My personal preference for my car is to use original parts from my car, first, then original Ford parts from other cars (donor cars, swap meets, etc.), and if all else fails reproduction. 
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 05:36:26 PM by 67gta289 »
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
MCA 74660

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 05:58:52 PM »
..about all of these new reproduction parts with part numbers, logos, etc. Claimed to be produced from original molds, yet superior quality, and so good that the judges can't tell the difference. Are you guys/girls accepting parts like these ? Or, doing anything to 'combat' the 'deception' taking place by any possible owners trying to pass off repro parts as originals? It seems like Ford will allow anything to be made as long as they get their royalties, and it makes me wonder what things will be like 20 years from now when these freshly restored cars are no longer in their prime. There will be more 'Original' parts on the market than cars that were produced.
We should encourage the aftermarket to perfection in bringing superior reproduction parts to market. "So good that you can't tell" should be a commitment by the vendors and not a adversarial challenge to combat by the concours community IMO. I don't see a down side for encouraging excellence in the after market. I have to wonder about how honorable the intentions of those that fan the flames of contention about this subject. IMO.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 08:18:57 PM »
I don't see a down side for encouraging excellence in the after market.

Purely for the sake of discussion, what happens when some parts reach the level of quality that they are indistinguishable from an original factory part? A car with such parts could make claims to being "all-original" when in fact it had a number of parts that were excellent repros. As the vehicle changes hands, the distinction would be lost and future owners may truly believe they have original parts.

On the other hand - if the part is physically the same, same materials, made with the same methods, and meets all of Ford's original engineering and quality requirements - does it matter that it was made in 2027 and not in 1967?
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2015, 08:49:03 PM »
If I can not say it is a reproduction part 100% then the car gets the benefit of the doubt. At the next show a more experienced judge that I may be able to discern the difference and deduct points. That is one of the reasons we will never be 100% consistent. We all are at different levels of learning and have had different life experiences. If we were 100% consistent we would be more like machines than human. 

Offline Smokey 15

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2015, 09:37:09 PM »
 What gripes me is the poor quality of too many of the "licensed" repop parts. I've sent back or had to "make fit' way too many parts that the manufacturer had the exclusive rights to build. Really sucks because most suppliers are stuck selling them. This crap makes it hard to do an accurate restoration when N.O.S. parts or rebuildable originals are nonexistent.