Author Topic: 67 Mustang S Code coupe Tires  (Read 3880 times)

Offline Horace Collums

67 Mustang S Code coupe Tires
« on: May 20, 2010, 01:45:54 AM »
Again I am just trying to get an handel on this judging, my first show. My car has F70-14  wide oval tires with white raised firestone letters I lost points for having the wrong tires. Even the tire in the trunk lost points.    As per the Marti report my car was ordered  with  the options F70-14 wide Oval tires  white side wall nylon tires.  When I ordered them from corker this is all they had for the 67 Mustang.  Should I change the tires to black wall ?    I will be showing in OK in the PS class not CT-10   Help.

Offline gtamustang

• CPM
  • Global Moderator
Re: 67 Mustang S Code coupe Tires
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 11:25:38 AM »
Horace,

The issue in not the tire size or manufacturer, rather it is that your tires are raised white letter. 1967 & 1968 Mustangs that came with Firestone F70-14s were whitewall, not raised white letter.

Regards,
Pete Morgan

Offline Keith Stem

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 01:47:27 PM »
Horace,

Pete is correct about your raised letter tires. The F70 X 14 WSW tires in 68 were Firestone with a thin white sidewall strip. Firestone had two different molds for this tire; the Ford tire had the white strip located closer to the tread with the Firestone Logo between the white strip and the rim. The second mold, which was used on GM cars, has the white strip closer to the rim and the Firestone Logo is located outboard of the white strip, the GM style tire is the only Firestone F70 X 14 WSW tire sold by Coker Tire.

The MCA judging sheet for the 67 and 68 Mustang does not list a F70 X 14 (BSW) tire, but they were an option on the 68 GT. The F70 X 14 (BSW) Belted Traction tires are Goodyear PolyGlass and do have Raised White Letters. The F70 X 14 tires found on many Mustang GT’s are commonly identified as Wide-Oval tires and these tires came in two styles either a Firestone (WSW) white sidewall or a Goodyear (BSW) raised white letter tire.

Keith Stem
8F02R185596

Offline Horace Collums

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 02:19:19 PM »
Ok  Pete I am back to the tires, Coker Tires has a F70-14 Firestone W O pin white stripe it the $171 tire.  Would this tire be the correct tire I need to show in the trailor concours class. I can sell the raised white letter tires I just don't wont to make another costly mistake with the tires.  By the way I should have read my Marti reoprt better,  the car was ordered with the  options F70 14 WOT  White Sidewall Nylon Tires.
Horace
67 Pink S code coupe

Offline gtamustang

• CPM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 11:51:17 AM »
Horace,

While not truely correct, this tire from Coker is as close as you are going to get. As the 67-68 Assistant Head Judge, I would not deduct or direct any judges to deduct points for correctness with this tire in Concours Driven or Trailered classes.

Regards,
Pete Morgan

Offline Horace Collums

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 01:10:35 PM »
Thanks Pete