Author Topic: 429cj flexplate  (Read 1003 times)

mac1971

429cj flexplate
« on: October 06, 2015, 10:55:14 PM »
So, when I got the car, there was intermittent grinding of the starter gear and the flex plate. Its too bad, because someone went to the trouble of putting a nice new starter in the car, but due to the grinding, ruined the starter mesh gear and this was more then likely caused by the following flex plate which I removed today from the engine. My question is can the ring gear be replaced on the original flex plate or do I have to just get a new one? Where can I get it repaired or where can I purchase the correct replacement for my 429cj? I will get the new piece for the starter in time also. Thanks in advance for any help.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 429cj flexplate
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 12:14:02 AM »
Yes they can be (ring gear) replaced. Been a while since I last had one done. Its the center section that is slightly different from other applications if I remember correctly

Most likely any used one you find will be well worn also.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline nham3407

Re: 429cj flexplate
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 10:35:19 AM »
Not selling Summit, but found several on their site.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/flywheel-and-flexplate-ring-gears?SortBy=Default&SortOrder=Ascending&tw=ring%20gear&sw=Flywheel%20and%20Flexplate%20Ring%20Gears

A good engine shop with a leveling plate should be able to remove, re-weld and balance for you.  Talk to whomever is going to do your engine work.
67 GT S-Code, San Jose, 06/67
72 Mach 1, Dearborn, 01/72
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 12/67 (Red)
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 6/68 (White)