Author Topic: Unrestored late 66 GT350  (Read 610 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Unrestored late 66 GT350
« on: October 09, 2015, 10:55:47 PM »
Disclaimer: :) As always we need to warn that unrestored does not always mean unaltered by previous owners. Just because this car has/had a specific detail does not mean your car was built just the same. Always do your research, document your findings and make the best choice for you and your expectations.

I've personnally know this car since the early 90's (local car) and have enjoyed studying and looking at it closely for all those years. It is one a a very very few original factory Paxton cars still owned by the original owner.  Many have attemtped to purchase the car and currently it will be given to his oldest for safe keeping when he's done with the car. Car is a painted Magnum, no stripe car. The owner made a few modifications very early in it life (example Koni's and spark plug wires) and over the years items that would wear (battery, exhaust ...) have been replaced. In more recent years things like spark plug wires and hoses have been replaced with reproduction items.

I really like this car and though I should of, I have never taken the opportunity to clean the undercarriage for the owners so that I could much cleaner pictures of that area.
Car has attended at least two of the SAAC conventions over the years - always gathering a group of people enjoying another unrestored car. I would estimate the build period at San Jose to be during the second half of May 66

Hope the sharing of these will help all of our understanding of these cars and foster some discussions.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

1A - Rear wheelwell - Brake duct is mounted like late cars were. Sound deadener still shows a ton of red body color over it as expected

1B - Drivers side rear quarter panel - pinch weld black out. Got to love those helper springs

1C - Shelby/export brace firewall/cowl support and sealant

1D - Drivers side cowl area

1E - Hood pin and passenger side radiator support. Some one in the past got in here with a black rattle can. Also someone added cables so that the hood pins didn't get lost

1F - Trunk wire (interior light) clip detached.  Screw protectors in the trunk have all been knocked off through use over the years. Full trunk going back and forth to all the shows ;)

1G - Drivers side quarter extension area

More later .... enjoy
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 05:06:46 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Unrestored late 66 GT350
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 04:50:37 PM »
Some more pictures - From the bottom/undercarriage

2A - Front section of the front wheel well (drivers side)

2B - Bottom of drivers side fender. This car is an example of the minimal sound deadener treatment and the maximum body color some Mustangs got. No sound deadener applied to the interior surface of the fender. And a fairly nice coat of body color also.

2C - Rear drivers side near the rear end. Red exterior blends with the red oxide primer/sealer in this area. Aftermarket exhaust and very early Konis are visible in this shot

2D - Good shot of the amount of body color application and heavy overspray into the rear wheel well, frame rail and surfaces in that area over the factory sound deadener

2E - Rear, drivers side, frame rail behind wheel well and quarter panel/trunk drop. Dolly mark is clearly visible as is the pinch weld black over overspray. Due to the angle of the applicator (more upward than inward) it's normal to find this heavy paint application in that area on car from San Jose

Jeff Speegle

Offline Smokey 15

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 07:11:38 PM »
 Thank You. I enjoy seeing unrestored examples.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 04:50:39 PM »
And even more ;) .....Hope these help others

3A -  Battery and passenger side radiator area. Black pulley and fan on the alternator. Repo and incorrect radiator clamps should be mentioned

3B -  Solenoid - with sealer and star washers. Owner in the past got in there with the black rattle can it appears (shock cover bolt head is now black :(

3C -  Passenger side motor mount and starter cable clamp/retainers

3D -  Mid section of the firewall with sealant - one of the heavier applications

3E -  Clutch upper spring and black proportioning valve. Sealant around steering column and E brake mounting nuts

3F -  Original master cylinder painted black and sealant in the drivers side firewall area 

3G -  Drivers side valve cover (with the closed letter COBRA) with the load spreaders used on the retaining bolts (later build detail)

3H -  Paxton supercharge and some of the modifications Shelby made to make things fit

3I -  Unusual finding - looks like someone forgot to repaint (with black) the bottom side of the all steel hood which left the stenciled date still visible. If your wondering - bottom structure of the hood is dated for October which is just visible on the bottom edge of the hood

Jeff Speegle