Author Topic: MCA Regional Shows  (Read 1683 times)

Offline nham3407

MCA Regional Shows
« on: October 12, 2015, 11:34:15 AM »
Is it a requirement that regional shows listed on MCAs website follow the established class and judging rules as set forward by MCA?  I would like to attend some regional shows to obtain feedback on my car from several judging groups prior to finalizing for a large national show.  Should I reach out to the regional show sponsoring group to verify their judging plans prior to making my plans to attend?

Thank you
67 GT S-Code, San Jose, 06/67
72 Mach 1, Dearborn, 01/72
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 06/68

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: MCA Regional Shows
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 11:54:41 AM »
no it is not required and yes i would definitely contact them for their plans.
5F09C331248

Offline mikeljgt500kr

• '68 KR,'69 Boss9, '64 FIA Cobra
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 12:09:23 PM »
no it is not required and yes i would definitely contact them for their plans.

+1, it has been my experience at the regional shows that they vary widely in how "formal" and "by-the-book" the judging is done.  There is also a paucity of highly experienced judges available for the regionals as well.
I don't always downshift, but when I do it is near a Prius so they can hear me hurting the environment.

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 12:12:25 PM »
it has been my observation in my area the very few regional show judges have actually judged at a national show. i personally would not rely on them for a good evaluation. nothing beats experience.
5F09C331248

Offline nham3407

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 12:13:48 PM »
How can a person get some valid feedback on their restoration prior to a major show then?  Thank you for the information thus far.

Offline dave6768

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 01:34:01 PM »
My experience is that most regional shows use the Occasional Driven rules/score sheets (or something close to it.)  Judging is mostly on cleanliness and condition.  If you want some real feedback, you'll need to get lucky and find a qualified judge or someone that has been judged several times before.

Contact your regional MCA club and start asking around.

Offline mikeljgt500kr

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2015, 02:09:13 PM »
If you are really serious, it would be best to contact one of the most experienced judges for your year and ask them to come look.  It could really be worth whatever they might want to come and help in this way.
I don't always downshift, but when I do it is near a Prius so they can hear me hurting the environment.

Offline nham3407

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2015, 05:41:07 PM »
Great feedback!  I have sent an email to Don Kasson in Missouri. He is probably the closest to me.  I await his response on how to best get his feedback on the car.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2015, 05:56:27 PM »
How can a person get some valid feedback on their restoration prior to a major show then?  Thank you for the information thus far.

We use to have "tear apart parties" way back when. Invite a bunch of local judges (had a bunch of well schooled judges around at the time due to the ongoing seminar program) over for lunch. Give them each a pad of paper and a pen and tell them to tear the car apart.  After you collect all the pads you feed them lunch for the effort

Of course some of the details some of the uneducated (in your particular year or model) would be ignored but they would still pick up cleanliness or workmanship details. But basically you would get two years worth of judging in a day for the cost of lunch

Now a days its not completely unheard of renting a judge and flying them in  or if a judge familiar in your year and model is close - arrange to bring your car to a local show for them to go over it outside of the events judging. I tend to do this a few times every year for the locals. Renting a judge to come up is allot more affordable than trailering your car for a day or so, fuel, meals and gas cost - in the long run. Plus you get the one on one, ask questions and can film, tape or other wise record all the findings and suggestions. Can also be done during the build process so that you don't have to redo steps :(

Just some thoughts and what has worked well for others
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline nham3407

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2015, 06:01:06 PM »
Jeff as always great information to add to what has been provided.  Unfortunatly, the limited access to local judges will not allow the luncheon idea to work.  I like the rent a judge wording. Just creates all kinds of funny spin off comedy routines.  I have inquired with Don what his preferences are for helping folks out and await his response.  Good to have this information available for searching.  May be worthwhile to create a sticky in the judging box.

Offline mikeljgt500kr

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2015, 07:05:04 PM »
A word to the wise, if you have a "tear apart party", just make sure you don't serve beer……….. ;D