Author Topic: 67 tail light panel grill  (Read 5592 times)

Offline dan green

67 tail light panel grill
« on: May 21, 2010, 11:43:12 AM »
Does any one have pics of an original 67 tail light grill panel?  Or one to sell?

I purchased a repro from NPD and would like to see an original to compare.
The repro seems pretty rough cast.   Any one know how the repros fit?
Were the originals always painted to match the body color?
Were they rough cast?
Were they painted gloss or semi-gloss?

Offline gtamustang

• CPM
  • Global Moderator
Re: 67 tail light panel grill
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 02:41:10 PM »
While I don't have pictures readily available, I can answer all of your questions.

The reproductions are not even close. The originals are cast pot metal that is smooth. Also each rib has an accent line that the reproduction does not have. As for mounting, the originals had cast in studs on the center section that had a rubber angle block and capped speed nut to hold the panel in place (the light housing was attached with the same studs that the regular chrome bezels were attached with).

The lower back panel grille option was available in two color choices, either body color or a gun metal gray metallic. If your paint code on your warranty plate was 2 digits with a 5 as one of the digits, then you would have the gun metal gray metallic back panel. Obviously, the body color was gloss whereas, the gun metal gray metallic seems to be more semi-gloss in appearance. Depending on the body style, more than just the panels are painted the gun metal gray metallic.

Finding a good set with all of the pot metal studs and mounting hardware in place will not be an easy task as the studs tend to break easily and noone ever thinks to keep the mounting hardware.

Regards,
Pete Morgan

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 10:48:36 AM »
I agree with Pete.  Here is some additional info and pictures.

We are talking about what the Ford buyer's digest calls the "lower back panel grille" which cost a whopping $19.48.  The option for "two tone paint - lower back grille" was $12.95. I wonder what the production statistics are for these options.

There are two styles, the coupe/vert version and the fastback version.  The coupe/vert version has a drop along the top to accomodate the trunk lid style.  The fastback version is straight across the top.

The coupe/vert part numbers are C7ZB-65403A76-C and C7ZB-65403A77-C.

Regarding colors, the two tone color used was "dark gray poly" - refer to this website - http://www.svs.com/zim/mustang/images/1967-ford-ppg.jpg

Also note that the two tone color was not limited to the grille itself but also the panel beneath.  On this (fantastic) site do a search on "lower rear grille" and look at the picture posted by Jeff.  The posting started on Aug 26, 2009.

The picture below of the blue mustang fastback has the incorrect color (style steel wheel charcoal gray) and does not have the back panel painted.  I included it to show the difference between the coupe/vert and fastback styles.

As the pictures below indicate, the grille mounting was a combination of threaded rods at the tail lights, and studs in the center and near the gas cap.  There are six mouting rods and four studs per grille.  The studs are what Pete stated are often broken.

The stud attaching hardware includes a thick washer cut at an angle to account for the curved panel upon which it is mounted.  The nuts are capped.  Pictures of this are also shown below.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 02:14:33 PM by 67gta289 »
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline dan green

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 10:46:48 PM »
Thanks!  Great info and pics.
Is that coupe convert panel set for sale?