Author Topic: Hardware and Misc Item Colors  (Read 2336 times)

Offline Machspeed

Hardware and Misc Item Colors
« on: November 16, 2015, 10:49:39 PM »
Friends, newbie here so please forgive if I have overlooked this information on this website. I’m beginning the restoration of my 69 Mustang Mach 1. While this car will be somewhat of a restomod (engine and transmission), I still want to retain much of the cars originality. That said, I’m looking for information on details of fasteners and locations? I’m also wanting for information on colors and coatings for brackets and such? I just purchased an AMK Ford fastener guide but what of the coatings and colors for things such as brackets, latches, hinges and such? 

Thanks,
John

9F02H205917

Offline svo2scj

• Car Collector and home to WHEEL CITY FAIRLANE
Re: Hardware and Misc Item Colors
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 11:58:54 PM »
Hello and welcome !!   You are getting an answer from some one that put such time into a restoration finished in 2010 (9 years actually).

It is good that you got the AMK book, it has to be used in conjunction with a set of 1969 assembly manuals and examples of HARDWARE used on your car!
You will find that none of the book take into account factory hardware differences.   Reading that you have a Dearborn car/going restomod will make it easier.

On the finishes (again this is plant specific) BUT there is much to be garnered from searching sites like this, 428CJ.org and Boss302.com . Expect to spend hours looking at photos in galleries of cars, learning how to "only look at original examples"/cars like yours.   

When I did my car there wasn't as much info as there is today.      Efforts like Marcus's http://www.anghelrestorations.com/mustang-factoids.html as well as the MANY members that will help if you ask make car building/restoration fun.   

(Not just for you, but for all)   I strongly suggest that you/we include our location, car condition and "planned direction" on intros !!  SO OFTEN I read and see I have an item or can help but don't know if the member is near me - or more importantly WHERE THEY ARE - as I often find after the fact I was near them on a car trip!   This is important from both a logistics standpoint (read when someone needs a block 2000 miles away) and from the ability to suggest assistance from another.

Again welcome and congratulations on making the call to build a car.
Mark

P.S.  I go to ROY'S CHICKEN in OK for lunch 1/15/2016 if you need parts delivered ! LOL
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 12:00:56 AM by svo2scj »
1969 R Code , Sportsroof (non Mach) W Axle
AB , Standard Interior  San Jose built 4/22/1969

Offline 69GT350H

• 1 of 10 Hertz Rentals from Miami Int Airport
    • RedsHost is my private forum and photo gallery site
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 12:30:03 AM »
Welcome John. Looks like we have something in common.

David
Accurate looking but not a Concours Restoration/build. See my build photo gallery at 69GT350 Hertz Build

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 02:19:42 AM »
Friends, newbie here so please forgive if I have overlooked this information on this website. I’m beginning the restoration of my 69 Mustang Mach 1. While this car will be somewhat of a restomod (engine and transmission), I still want to retain much of the cars originality. That said, I’m looking for information on details of fasteners and locations?............

Well if you've looked at many of the threads and posts here you realize that we're focusing just on originality so you'll have to run what is offered through your filters so that the answers fit your needs

IF you read reviews of the hardware kits posted already you'll know that the AMK kits will hold things to the car and often match the original finishes but they likely will not look (head markings and such) look the same

Finding out what many or all of the brackets and other hardware is finished in is not an easy task and will depend on where your car was built and when as well as what engine and trans the car was.

Many of the finishes and and brackets are listed in the MCA judging rules and many of the hardware details are included in the hardware spread sheets located in the Library of this site. The finish decoder is included there also

That should give you a few days of reading. From there I suggest that you do a search for a particular bracket or detail using the SEARCH feature and if nothing is found there ask - thanks for already including the cars VIN in your signature ;)

And don't IMHO rely on pictures you find on the web, in magazines and elsewhere (in general) often you have no idea of where the restorer got their info, where they might have copied it from or if its original to the car - or if it was built at or near the time your car was built or even the same plant

Welcome to the site
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 02:27:09 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Machspeed

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 10:59:01 AM »
Gentleman, thank you so much for the kindly welcome and words of wisdom regarding my build. Jeff, I apologize, I spent hours looking on this site the other night but never once looked into the library....arghhhh! Great information there!!! I have much reading to do.

SVO, see you're coming to Oklahoma, where specifically?

A little bit about about my car:

http://1969stang.com/forum/index.php?/topic/53352-meet-queenie%E2%80%A6-69-gulfstream-aqua-build/

9F02H205917

Offline svo2scj

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 05:18:51 PM »

SVO, see you're coming to Oklahoma, where specifically?

You failed the SEARCH TEST !  LOL       Roy's is in Coweta OK.    Ben Cole (member at Mustang sites) owns Roy's and I try to visit on the way to AZ for the car auctions in Jan. 

Mark

Offline Machspeed

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 08:46:44 PM »
You failed the SEARCH TEST !  LOL       Roy's is in Coweta OK.    Ben Cole (member at Mustang sites) owns Roy's and I try to visit on the way to AZ for the car auctions in Jan. 

Mark

Mark, no time to look, killing my time in the library....lol! Wow, I'm about 10 minutes down the road from Coweta in Wagoner. I've never met Ben but I have seen a few of his cars at James Hodge Ford in Muskogee. Apparently, he takes them there for some mechanical work. He has some very nice cars! Does he frequent this site and if so what is his alias? I'd like to meet him sometime.

Are you in the Mustang parts business?

And lastly, is there a place here on the forums that speaks to the quality of repopulate parts?

Thanks Gentlemen,

John
9F02H205917

Offline svo2scj

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 06:06:28 PM »
Hi John

No not in the business BUT SHOULD BE living in MI (near Dearborn/Brighton) LOL    Getting tired of neighbors saying "yeah I have one of those" AND THEY DO !!!

I have ONE part needing to go to AZ from MI (block) so I guess I'm driving next year again.

Mark