Author Topic: Which sound deadener for wheel wells?  (Read 3839 times)

Offline sparta

Which sound deadener for wheel wells?
« on: November 19, 2015, 11:37:03 AM »
He'll everyone, I have a 1968 fast back and was wondering what sound deadened to use in the wheel wells? And also, will this sound deadened trap moisture like some undercoating and cause rust?

Thank you!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Which sound deadener for wheel wells?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 02:40:05 PM »
Your post was moved to a more appropriate section - since the question is about a specific year and plant. These areas are for general questions - (example - what product to use for sound deadener) or questions that span across many sections - like 65-68 related question would do

Check the 67-68 section below in the index
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline RocketScientist

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 10:38:57 PM »
I understand that this may not be what your after but..... The sound deadening in my wheel wheels was in great condition but it simply looked bad and discolored. I simply repainted it with a satin black enamel (rattle can) which freshened up the look and preserved the original texture. Being an enamel coating makes its easier to clean and nobody has ever questioned it or picked it up - which is the important thing! I have had it in place for over 12 years and it has never suffered any damage and so it holds up well.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 11:18:38 PM »
I understand that this may not be what your after but..... The sound deadening in my wheel wheels was in great condition but it simply looked bad and discolored. I simply repainted it with a satin black enamel (rattle can) which freshened up the look and preserved the original texture. Being an enamel coating makes its easier to clean and nobody has ever questioned it or picked it up - which is the important thing! I have had it in place for over 12 years and it has never suffered any damage and so it holds up well.

Did you do this for the front or rear wheel wells?  Guessing its the front since the rears were body color ....guess if you had a black car :)

Another option is to top coat the original product with a rubberized black sound deadener. It may change the texture slightly but will freshen up the top surface and may repair slight small issues
Jeff Speegle

Offline RocketScientist

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2015, 12:19:35 AM »
Yes Jeff, it was the rears as was an easy job. My intent was to preserve what I had and to freshen everything up. For me there was no point in removing the old stuff and reapplying new material just for the sake of a restoration as I could never recreate that original look. I was lucky enough to have a good car to begin with.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2015, 03:49:07 PM »
Yes Jeff, it was the rears as was an easy job. My intent was to preserve what I had and to freshen everything up. For me there was no point in removing the old stuff and reapplying new material just for the sake of a restoration as I could never recreate that original look. I was lucky enough to have a good car to begin with.
What exterior color is the car you freshened  the rear wheel wells in ?
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline RocketScientist

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2015, 08:27:08 PM »
You guys are such sticklers for perfection and I Love how you try and bring out the correct solution.  :) :)
The intent of my response was that repainting the wheel wells black is a novel solution to removing and then re-applying sound deadening. However, you are all correct is bringing up the fact that the wheel wells are then painted body color as overspray and I should have finished off my response by mentioning this.
My car is Lime Gold and the wheel wells were touched with some body paint also and with some creativity and a lot of masking you can achieve a good result. 

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2015, 06:42:19 PM »
You guys are such sticklers for perfection and I Love how you try and bring out the correct solution.  :) :) ......

Just always trying to remember that there are tons of others out there watching that rather than ask a question will read post and take what they see and apply it. Because of this its important that we clarify so that there is less of a chance that they will get the wrong (non-original) idea.

One of the unintended consequences of forums  - so we're always (well try to be ) on the watch
Jeff Speegle

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2015, 02:13:14 PM »
Above and beyond what Jeff said: discussions here show up in Google searches. So people who aren't even registered members can see and read everything in the open forums. Which I think is great - that's how I found CMF in the first place. It's something to keep in mind when posting information or answering questions.
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.