Author Topic: Date Coding of Parts - New Article for Review  (Read 5495 times)

Offline Brian Conway

Re: Date Coding of Parts - New Article for Review
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2015, 12:44:38 PM »
Page 8 transmission manual steel date stamps ?  I don't see any transmissions ?  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
San Diego, Ca.

Offline preaction

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2015, 04:07:24 PM »
Where will this be found on the web site ? Also awesome work and thanks.
8R02S125064- January 6 1968  SJ   7F93S591808 - April 28 1967  Dearborn   7F91S544039 - December 17 1966 Dearborn

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2015, 04:36:23 PM »
in his original post he says it will be in the library.
5F09C331248

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2015, 08:43:14 PM »
Page 8 transmission manual steel date stamps ?  I don't see any transmissions ?  Brian

Unfortunately they don't fit that date coding (year - month - day of month) pattern

Got to figure out where to insert manual transmissions since they used a number of different patterns of date coding their main cases and tailshaft housings
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 08:52:23 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Texas Swede

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2015, 10:46:45 PM »
Jeff, great stuff as usual. Have a question about the date codes on heater and radiator clamps,
is it really month/year and not quarter/year. The only original clamps I have seen have been
dated 1,2,3 and 4/year.
Texas Swede

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2015, 11:04:59 PM »
Jeff, great stuff as usual. Have a question about the date codes on heater and radiator clamps,
is it really month/year and not quarter/year. The only original clamps I have seen have been
dated 1,2,3 and 4/year.
Texas Swede

Will look at the ones I have and invite others wot look at theirs
Jeff Speegle

Offline azscj

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2015, 11:44:21 PM »
Jeff - Outstanding work, I could not say enough about this and think everyone needs a copy hanging up in their shop or next to their bed to read at night.  I know this has been in the works and been looking forward to seeing it for the last year. 

If there is one comment I would make....since this is a reference....I would like to see clear pictures of all items, especially for this document.  Example on page 3 and a few others are too blurry.  I have pictures of just about everything you have listed here so I can send you some updates offline if that helps.  But even we leave it as is, its the best document or resource I think we have on this site to date.  The cornerstone of this site really.  Well done. 
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

http://www.anghelrestorations.com/
https://www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations

Offline brennancarey

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2015, 09:16:54 AM »
Thks Jeff !

i got all excited to hit the garage and go through some parts but when I tried printing it says its password protected against printing...  :-\
Is there a reason because I would love a hard copy to use in the garage?

Thks
brennan
67 GTA 390 Fastback
Dark Moss Green
Dearborn
Build Date 12/28/66

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2015, 12:41:14 PM »
Unfortunately they don't fit that date coding (year - month - day of month) pattern

Got to figure out where to insert manual transmissions since they used a number of different patterns of date coding their main cases and tailshaft housings

...and at least for the early T-10's  a cast date stamp on the pass/right side of the case, a circular cast date stamp on the trans. shift plate and an assembly hand stamped date at the rear of the shifter plate opening.  So yes could take some figuring.  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
San Diego, Ca.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2015, 02:28:12 PM »
Thanks all - Big project so not surprised with the number of suggestions and things short of a little polish :)

And I noticed that someone just posted then removed a nice list of spelling and other errors but I missed the post before you pulled it down. Please send it to me or repost so we can fix/correct them.

i got all excited to hit the garage and go through some parts but when I tried printing it says its password protected against printing...  :-\
Is there a reason because I would love a hard copy to use in the garage?

Since its not final I didn't want copies running around until its a bit more "prefect". The final version will be printable

...and at least for the early T-10's  a cast date stamp on the pass/right side of the case, a circular cast date stamp on the trans. shift plate and an assembly hand stamped date at the rear of the shifter plate opening.  So yes could take some figuring.  Brian

Yes and a few different styles of date coding but keeping the focus on our years may help reduce some of those variations

Jeff - Outstanding work, ...............If there is one comment I would make....since this is a reference....I would like to see clear pictures of all items, especially for this document.  Example on page 3 and a few others are too blurry.  I have pictures of just about everything you have listed here so I can send you some updates offline if that helps.  ...............

Some of the pictures were chosen because they showed reference points to help with  orientation and such. Likely have another 100 (I assume that your referring to the heavy stamp example on page 3) of those examples so easy to replace.  Send over some examples of what you believe are the most annoying blurry ones you found in the document when you find time

As for the question posted (see below) by two of the members related to the PVS and the decoding - will change (have already) from month to it being a question at this point. When Scott was assembling the page about those items on his site we discussed the issue about the meaning of the "'H's and K's" found on them. Our best guess was that "H" might be Holley but it was not based on any findings or documentations - it was something that "fit" the pattern.  But yes - thanks for bring that up so it could get correccted

Fair question  ::)  I'll answer too since my response was the same as John's.  I found it on
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 02:47:13 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2015, 09:44:19 PM »
Updated and corrected - well somewhat (I'm not perfect). Still investigating the hose clamp comment. And for whomever put up a list of corrections then removed the posts. after reading through I think you just gave up with trying to list all the grammar and writing issues. Tried to correct many that I found anyway  >:(

Thanks all for looking and commenting.
Jeff Speegle

Offline KevinK

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2015, 12:08:12 AM »
I have to ask the question. How does this article compare to the manual offered for sale on EBay?
I will try to post a link. Licensed by Ford.
http://r.ebay.com/p6PWDX
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 12:13:26 AM by KevinK »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2015, 12:33:34 AM »
I have to ask the question. How does this article compare to the manual offered for sale on EBay?
I will try to post a link. Licensed by Ford.
http://r.ebay.com/p6PWDX

Sorry -don't know I have never seen a copy-
The Licensed by Ford doesn't mean Ford checked the information was correct or incorrect they just collect a fee from my understanding and have you fill out forms.

By the description it appears it covers some parts and not others (like the one posted here does)  it also states goes into engineering and or part numbers not something I wanted to add to this document since there are allot more complete lists and that would add years to the project.

Anyone know who wrote it or when it was published?
Might be something like the old Mustang Detail Guide that some people used for a while back in the 90's that I think some places is still selling.
Can't seem to find anything in the ad that would tell us

So unless anyone will report they have purchased one - guess you'll need to buy one and review it

Oh - also they charge for theirs ;)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 02:18:36 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline azscj

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2015, 10:20:54 PM »

I have that build date manual and there is no comparison to what Jeff put together here.  The other one doesnt even get close to the amount of detail we have here.  I bought it just to have, but never used or found it helpful. 
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

http://www.anghelrestorations.com/
https://www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations

Offline svo2scj

• Car Collector and home to WHEEL CITY FAIRLANE
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2015, 10:21:54 PM »
Jeff - Outstanding work, I could not say enough about this and think everyone needs a copy hanging up in their shop or next to their bed to read at night.

I'm still trying to get my wife to take down the Patrick Swayze poster from her first love !! LOL Doubt she will go for this !   

Mark
P.S. Nice job Jeff ham sandwich for you in AZ !   (wait that is Carlisle)  I should have said "lobster roll at Barrett Jackson" for you !
1969 R Code , Sportsroof (non Mach) W Axle
AB , Standard Interior  San Jose built 4/22/1969