Author Topic: 2016 Mustangs are built in one plant, got me thinking about when Mustang's were  (Read 3223 times)

Offline QikBBStang

built in Dearborn, Metuchen and San Jose during 1964-71. Seems impossible that much of the sheet metal, stampings, plastics, interiors, trim etc etc could all be shipped all over the country to be assembled at a competitive price.
Find it difficult to comprehend there would be much duplication in manufacturing parts but maybe there were?

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
There's an argument for redundant manufacturing plants in that should one plant go down, the others are likely to be unaffected.  Things such as: floods, earthquakes, rail strikes...almost anything that may be geographical in nature.  The same goes for supply chains: should one company go under, there's an alternative source.  Diverse supply chains can also lead to competition and lower prices.  In the Lean/Six Sigma world, the argument is just the opposite: a close relationship between a single manufacturing plant and single suppliers leads to better reliability and lower total ownership cost. 

Back in the mid-60's, I suspect Ford was caught flat-footed with the success of the Mustang beyond anyone's dreams.  Dearborn probably could not keep up with demand so Metuchen and San Jose were drafted to do Mustang assemblies.  In that time, I suspect having multiple plants assembling the Mustangs was the only option for Ford at the time, considering the alternative: not enough supply to satisfy the consumer demand for Mustangs.  Ford probably ate a bit of potential profit by distributing production and suppliers but made up for it by the massive volume of sales.  I believe that the Mustang's introduction was the most successful (in terms of number of vehicles) of any auto product in auto history over the first 2-3 years, a record that probably has not been matched.  Sales volume can cover up many inefficiencies in production.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
Production capacity was probably the biggest driver for having multiple plants. Each assembly plant has a certain capacity, and the demand for Mustangs outstripped the Dearborn plant capacity. Ford could have dropped other car lines or moved them to other plants, but making changes to established lines has its own problems. Adding plant capacity is not quick - it takes years to plan and build new floor space and equipment and train new workers. The labor market in a given area can limit expansion if there's an insufficient number of skilled or trainable workers in that area.

Although redundancy in multiple sites is a benefit, the headaches of trying to get multiple sites to do things the same way offset those benefits (in my opinion, based on 20+ years of dealing with that exact situation!). Ford did a damn good job building nearly identical vehicles at three plants in three distant locations. But think of how many details we see that differ slightly between Dearborn, San Jose and Metuchen. Workers, engineers, and management all tend to find ways to do things faster, better, and cheaper, and those good intentions lead to differences between sites. Up to a point it's beneficial, but once the differences in materials and techniques become too great it starts to cause problems.

In short, three sites was probably the best strategic move for FoMoCo as a company building dozens of different vehicles. Looking only at Mustang production doesn't tell the whole picture.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 10:09:53 PM by WT8095 »
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline mikeljgt500kr

• 1964 1/2 K code coupe and 2022 GT500 HE
The things all car companies did in the '60s and '70s look so stupid and inefficient today, it shows how far we have come in manufacturing and QC.  Those '60s and '70s cars, and most '80s, were pieces of junk compared to today, let's all give thanks we have what we have today.
I don't always downshift, but when I do it is near a Prius so they can hear me hurting the environment.

Offline MattDoscher

Those '60s and '70s cars, and most '80s, were pieces of junk compared to today, let's all give thanks we have what we have today.

I wouldn't necessarily call them junk cars!  Cars and trucks of the '60's and '70's certainly had more style and looked better compared to those today.  You actually had to drive the vehicle back then compared to having sensors and cameras drive today's vehicles.
Matt Doscher

1965 Mercury Comet Caliente Convertible
5H25T582252

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
I am not familiar with the specific launch dates of the 2nd and 3rd plants....I am sure someone has that committed to memory.

I work in the medical industry....between the validation and approval cycles - nothing happens fast.  I can't imagine starting up two parallel production lines shortly after launch of the first.
1967 S-code Fastback, GT, 3-speed manual, Metuchen, Scheduled 04-21-1967 - Actual 04-25-1967

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
I work in the medical industry....between the validation and approval cycles - nothing happens fast.

Me too! We do contract manufacturing for device components. Mostly laser cutting and welding. Validation is my least favorite aspect of the work, but it is vital when people's lives are potentially on the line.
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
We do laser cutting and welding as well as point grinding, packaging etc.....getting off topic.  But you can appreciate what Ford was able to pull off...amazing.
1967 S-code Fastback, GT, 3-speed manual, Metuchen, Scheduled 04-21-1967 - Actual 04-25-1967

Offline mikeljgt500kr

• 1964 1/2 K code coupe and 2022 GT500 HE
I wouldn't necessarily call them junk cars!  Cars and trucks of the '60's and '70's certainly had more style and looked better compared to those today.  You actually had to drive the vehicle back then compared to having sensors and cameras drive today's vehicles.

I do like the style of the old cars (obviously since I have so many) but realistically, mechanically, electrically, and fit and finish-wise they would be junk today and nobody would buy them.  I looked at the history of my '68 KR in the Registry, and the number of things that broke or didn't work the first few months is amazing.  People would not put up with that today, it's buy and forget it's a car, just start and drive everyday, no problems usually.
I don't always downshift, but when I do it is near a Prius so they can hear me hurting the environment.

Offline jwc66k

Those '60s and '70s cars, and most '80s, were pieces of junk compared to today, -
Those "pieces of junk" were designed and sold as personal transportation for ten years, a federal requirement by the way, by virtue of replacement parts being requited by auto manufacturers. The philosophy then was for Americans to buy a new car every two years. It was "good" for the economy. The quality was not great, and in some instances, deadly. Where it went awry was the federal government issuing requirements for mileage and safety which cause a general slowdown of the economy, and a slowdown in car purchases. Viet Nam didn't help.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 1950fordcoupe

I worked in the automotive stamping supplier chain since the mid 1980's. I was always a car nut. To give you an example I think Ford sold over 1,000,000 1949 Fords that saved the company. There were I think 12 or 15 assembly plants then except for the station wagon that still used wood and was made in only one place.
Automobiles are fairly low volume products in the our world. I also worked in the lawn equipment world and was tooling manager at the largest. We made 20,000 walk behind mowers, 5,000 riding mowers and 1,000 garden tillers a day. That was just one manufacturer although we did make over 30 different brands there on 5 assembly lines. At that time all the big parts like fenders and hoods and the mower decks were ran by hand and they kept up with production. Ford usually had a little over a one minute cycle on a car going down the line. You had a little over a minute to do your job. So they are making hundreds of cars per day not thousands.
We stamped parts in South Carolina that went to plants in Ohio and Michigan some by rail and most by truck.
Most people would be shocked at what the manufacturers pay for all the stampings in a vehicle. We did a lot of work for the econoline van and I spent weeks during launch and model changes at the Ohio assembly plant. I would watch them assemble a new model van body run it through paint and review it to see if there were any issues then crush it. I ask why they didn't store them and assemble later and they said not worth it. The entire body cost less that $800 as it went to paint. It would have cost more to move around and store than to just junk it.
We also made lots of parts for the BMW 3 series when they first started the plant in S.C., the Z4 roadster and the X-5 sports activity. I spent years with the engineers and the cost for a full BMW X-5 body ready to go to paint was also less than $800. The wire harness and exhaust cost more than the body.
You can run two front fenders in automatic at 15 pair per minute or 900 per hour. You might get .25 per press hit and 6 hits or $1.50 for two fenders plus material. Now go buy one of those fenders and see what it costs. By the way we ran John Deere lawn mower fenders in the same press line that ran the BMW outer roof panels for the X-5 for the same cost as the John Deere mower fender. You buy the Deere at Lowe's and Home Depot it is assembled in Greeneville, Tenn. We get bent over every time we go to the dealer to buy something.
I was also the engineering manager at a tool shop in WuHu China. They have much better equipment and shops there than the U.S.. Everyone thinks they do everything with people but they do not. They use machines people cost too much there also.
China actually took all the car manufacturers to court for monopoly for repair parts and forced them to reduce their prices in China drastically or not be able to sell there. I think we should do the same here.
My son works at BMW in quality on the X-6 line. The production from January to April pays for the entire years expense to run the plant so everything from April to the end of the year is 100% profit. The BMW cost in an X-6 going out the door is less than $15,000 for the running finished car. By the way he does not drive one he sees all the issues he drives an F-150.  BMW is way behind Ford in their assembly techniques and still do lots of things by hands that causes issues. They actually crush cars at the plant they cannot figure out what is wrong with them.
David