Author Topic: Rotisserie - to - unibody mounting location recommendations?  (Read 3961 times)

Offline Angela

Rotisserie - to - unibody mounting location recommendations?
« on: January 03, 2016, 06:42:24 PM »
Attached are some photos of my rotisserie and several of the universal mounting brackets that came with it. I am looking for feedback concerning how folks have mounted their cars to their rotisseries.

The rear mounting is simple, IMHO. Shown in one of the pics are a pair of mounting brackets I can use to attach at the rear spring shackles.

The front mounting location is where I'd specifically like some input. *IF* I do NOT use the included mounting brackets, instead drilled holes in the horizontal arms of the rotisserie, I could attach at the front bumper bracket locations. However, if I do so, one of the holes I would have to drill into the horizontal rotisserie arm is fairly close to the end of the square tubing (and that makes me a bit nervous).

Looking at the pics I've attached, any recommendations for mounting this rotisserie to the front of my '70?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Rotisserie - to - unibody mounting location recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 09:37:43 PM »
The one I had built many years ago used the front bumper bracket holes though the arms were longer so that the face of the front cross member was easier to get to for painting and such

At the rear we used stand off's to space the back of the car from the end fixture so that the taillight panel and such had some room. We bolted directly to the taillight panel and rear bumper mounts in the trunk but have seen many versions that mount to the rear frame rail one way or another.

What does the instructions on your unit have from its front mount?  Is that the bottom picture?  If so not sure how it attaches and to where
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline SamG

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 11:21:19 PM »
I made my own rotisserie.  My front mounting arms are a little heavier and (although it doesn't look that way in the picture) allow me to move the radiator support further away from the rotisserie.  I wouldn't be afraid of what you have there as far as the hole being so close to the end.  The body isn't so heavy once the drivetrain/interior are removed. 

My rear mounts are a little different, instead of the shackle mounting points, I used the tie down plate points.  I also added a plate that let me use the rear bumper holes...

Offline Brian in PA

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 11:38:16 PM »
I have an Auto Twirler Brand rotisserie and with the "mustang" kit the front mounts are drilled to bolt up to the bumper brackets.   

Offline Angela

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 08:16:48 PM »
The one I had built many years ago used the front bumper bracket holes though the arms were longer so that the face of the front cross member was easier to get to for painting and such

At the rear we used stand off's to space the back of the car from the end fixture so that the taillight panel and such had some room. We bolted directly to the taillight panel and rear bumper mounts in the trunk but have seen many versions that mount to the rear frame rail one way or another.

What does the instructions on your unit have from its front mount?  Is that the bottom picture?  If so not sure how it attaches and to where

Jeff, the bottom pic includes an example of one of the universal mounts that came with my rotisserie -to which I have no idea how the manufacturer intended that mount to be used. The manual doesn't mention anything about the mounts or how to attach any vehicle to their lift. Here's the pdf manual for my specific lift:
http://www.tuxedodistributors.com/autobody/rotisserie/cr-3000/cr-3000_manual.pdf

Like I said, the rear mounts are a no-brainer to me.... I'll just use the shackle mounts. Up front, however, I'm not sure what I should do. I'd sure like to get the front of the car a little bit further away from the rotisserie than what's shown in the pics I attached.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 09:59:19 PM »
Find a metal fabrication shop near you and get a couple square tubes about 18 inches long each that fit over the tubes you show in your pictures. Drill holes through the tube that match up to the holes for your front bumper brackets. Drill another 5/8"hole on the other end and securely weld a 1/2" nut over the center of the hole. Insert a 1-1/2'' long 1/2" bolt into thes to use as a set screw, which keeps your tube extension secure to your existing tube. Be sure to insert a minumum of 6 inches over your existing tube for safely extending them. This should move you a foot away from where your pictures show now. This is what I have too and have used on my 67.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 10:05:00 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments