Author Topic: Wiring color coding question  (Read 1806 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Wiring color coding question
« on: January 14, 2016, 07:18:45 PM »
Though I would ask but guess I could look it up if no one knows. Guessed someone had thought of this before

Did Ford's engineers always used the same color code for specific numbers in their wiring diagrams though the year or from year to year?

Colorizing some factory stuff and have a couple of illustrations that show the color code number but its not in the index for the page

Thanks
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
Re: Wiring color coding question
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 10:14:41 PM »
Though I would ask but guess I could look it up if no one knows. Guessed someone had thought of this before

Did Ford's engineers always used the same color code for specific numbers in their wiring diagrams though the year or from year to year?

Colorizing some factory stuff and have a couple of illustrations that show the color code number but its not in the index for the page

Thanks
Yes indeed, at about the 95% level.  There were some color changes throughout the vintage years (horns come to mind, radio power changed from black to yellow/black in 67), and circa 1971, some wires changed from solid/stripe to solid/dash or solid/dot.  There's a great guide to all wire numbers, colors, and functions in the71-73 vacuum and wiring guide books (11x17) size. 

I refurbished a 1978 MII with limited schematics and a lot of reverse-engineering.  Having the same colored wires for the same functions made all the difference!
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 12:23:42 AM »
In a few cases, yes. The two that come to mind are wire numbers 53, black with a blue tracer for switch controlled courtesy lights, and 54, green with a yellow tracer for door controlled courtesy lights. The same numbers, colors and functions are common with my 66 Mustangs as well as my 1999 E250 Van. It was a pleasant surprise. My van came from the factory as "unfinished", ready for conversion which I did. I haven't looks for any other common wires but I assume there are more.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 02:09:48 AM »
I've got a drawing that shows three colors identified in the black and white 67 application 140, 140A and 490. Though they are not important to the illustration purpose they were included and would like to put colors to the codes
Jeff Speegle

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 08:01:33 AM »
I've got a drawing that shows three colors identified in the black and white 67 application 140, 140A and 490. Though they are not important to the illustration purpose they were included and would like to put colors to the codes
140 and 140A are black/red (backup lamps)
490 is blue/red (PRNDL lamp)
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 02:08:33 PM »
Thanks
Jeff Speegle