Author Topic: Any idea of the percentage(s) of Mustang's by year that survive vs production  (Read 3697 times)

Offline QikBBStang

Watching Mecum's auction with muscle car after muscle car crossing the stage, it got me wondering about the percentages of specific highly desirable collector cars (SHELBY's, Cobra Jets, Bosses etc). Cars that just will not die/be junked. Example that might be easier, what is the percentage of GT500KRs in the Shelby Registry that are shown to survive? 25%--? 40%--? 50%--? 75%--?   What I'd really like to know, of all the S-code 67s that were built,  I'd like to get an estimate of how many of them still survive today?

« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 03:17:29 PM by QikBBStang »

Offline somethingspecial

• 1968 GT/CS Registrar mikej@bigbytes.com
As far as the 1968 GT/CS is concerned, There were 4,118 cars built with the GT/CS package. We currently have 1,511 cars in the Registry, which is 27% found.  There were 215 GT/CS cars built with the S code 390GT engine, which 76 are registred, which is 35% S codes found.  We are finding cars every week thanks to the Internet, ranging from rusted out barn finds to fully restored cars.  So, this number will certainly rise as time passes.  Not the 67 S code stat you were looking for, but certainly a "Special Interest" Mustang. Mike   ps. Just a note, I know a man in Sacramento, Ca. who owns a Mustang shop who told me he has personally scrapped four (4) GT/CSs over the years, unfortunately, he did not have a record of the VINs for those cars. 
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 07:00:39 PM by somethingspecial »
Your friendly neighborhood 1968 GT/CS Registrar

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
There were 215 GT/CS cars built with the S code 390GT engine, which 76 are registred, which is 28% S codes found. 

That's actually 35%
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
It also depends on your definition of "survive". Does this one count?
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline jwc66k

Ten years ago, I used the general figure of 50 percent for 64-73 Mustangs still drivable. That's probably too high today, so figure between 25 and 40 percent. Consider that about 3 million Mustangs were built in that time frame, and that's 50 years ago. Lots of wrecks, lots of destroyed, lots of rusting in the back yard. Still, a million Mustangs is a lot.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
I think most people would agree that there are more 65/66 GT fastbacks on the road today than were originally built, so the percentage would be over 100%.  The same may be true for 65/66 Shelby GT350's...
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline somethingspecial

• 1968 GT/CS Registrar mikej@bigbytes.com
Thank you Mr. Turner, My math is a little rusty.  I changed the %. Mike
Your friendly neighborhood 1968 GT/CS Registrar

Offline brennancarey

My cars Marti report says 16 212 GT equipment group mustangs were built in 67. I have no idea how many would have been S codes or how many would have fastbacks.  But if 30% survived thats 4863 GT's, no doubt S codes would reduce the number and throw in Fastbacks the number would reduce further..
67 GTA 390 Fastback
Dark Moss Green
Dearborn
Build Date 12/28/66

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
My guess is 25% survive in some form for 1965-68, 1969-73 likely less. Mustangs that fall into specialty registries such as: Shelby, Boss, CJ, Fastback, GT/CS - HCS, and convertibles, would probably skew the numbers upwards as sub sets. Early Mustangs and specialty ones were actively bought starting in the late 1970's, as I recall.

Running and driving Mustang survival? Less than 10%. But that is just my WAG.

Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
I wonder how many Mustangs are in the "middle" of a restoration...or how many Mustangs were junked due to failed restoration attempts?
1967 S-code Fastback, GT, 3-speed manual, Metuchen, Scheduled 04-21-1967 - Actual 04-25-1967

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
I wonder how many Mustangs are in the "middle" of a restoration...or how many Mustangs were junked due to failed restoration attempts?

That's much like asking how many licks! "Ask Mr Owl, for he is the wisest of all!"

« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 01:32:14 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline KevinK

In the past, the car hobby estimated about 20% of the cars survived to the age of 20-30 years.  I always found it hard to believe but maybe I was just in denial that I missed all the great performance cars. I think with the desirable high end cars (mustangs) and the Internet, many more cars are discovered and tucked away than we originally anticipated.

I track as many of the ASC McLaren convertibles as I find info on. I have found the surviving numbers sometimes higher. I suspect this is due the high conversion price tag, many of these cars were not commuters but pleasure cars.  I don't know if I would classify the Shelbys and other desireable mustangs as pleasure cars.  Just my opinion.
MCA #33800, Gold Card 3rd Gen
BAMA Member
67 Coupe, 69 Coupe, 74 Coupe, 84 SVO, 84 GT Turbo, 86 GT, 88 McLaren, 89 LX Sport, 03 Mach 1, 07 GT500, 14 GT/CS

Offline jwc66k

In the past, the car hobby estimated about 20% of the cars survived to the age of 20-30 years.  I always found it hard to believe -
That may be true for a 60's Falcon, or Rambler, but there was something about a Mustang that caught the publics' eye. About 15-20 years ago, Cabrillo College in Aptos, CA had the notoriety of having the highest percentage of 65-66 Mustangs to students of any college in the country. That area, near Santa Cruz, was populated by status seeking youth who needed to propel an image while they were forced to go to school. Mustangs became one of their symbols. Based on popularity, no other model, except the VW Beetle, had that type of following. They ran the cars into the ground and bought newer makes as replacements. Those ran into the ground are still being bought. I always get the - "Nice. I had a 66 Coupe back in the 70's. I wish I had it back" - when I'm in a parking lot with my 66. Pickings are slim, but now I-6 Mustangs are in demand, and up into the 70's.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline QikBBStang

Fascinating to think about the survival rates.........Back in the mid 70s -80s I was a salesman traveling Florida and south Georgia and routinely would "hit" junk-yards,,, back in those days I witnessed hundreds of 65-73 Mustang's going through their demise - for sure their carcasses never came back out of those yards  . Amazing part to me is to think back on how intact those Mustang's were, after recently walking around Mustang Masters numerous yards of Mustang's and seeing the "rough" condition of Mustang's that will be restored.