Author Topic: Factory markings (paint daubs, stripes, dots and codes)  (Read 1706 times)

Offline Rossco

Factory markings (paint daubs, stripes, dots and codes)
« on: February 01, 2016, 12:57:00 PM »
Hi

This there a definitive for factory markings for example a book to purchase for San Jose, if not can anyone pass on some photos please

Ross
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 05:36:14 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline 67gta289

Re: San Jose Factory markings
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 01:02:41 PM »
No such book exists for any single year let alone multiple years since you did not specify that 

Within any given year, in some cases, there were running changes

I would suggest that you (1) use the search feature, (2) use processes described in various posts including the library section, to recover and document markings on your car, and share what you find, (3) create new posts if the search comes up empty.  Make sure you include pertinent data including build date and options.

John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 07:46:00 PM »
The book would have to be a really large one, it would be out of date as soon as it was printed and 99% of the information in it would not relate to the car you would be interested due to all the variables, years, options, accessories and details related to these things.

Marks are not a requirement in most of the classes judged by the major national organizations. Lacking them will not cost you points in those classes - wrong ones will

There are a couple of guides that were published years ago - none I could recommend. IMHO they will provide as many incorrect marks as correct ones - or even less.

As posted in other threads asking the same question its best to focus on the basic marks - those shown on your cars build sheet or one that reflects your cars plan, option, accessories and time period. I likely have over 7,000 pictures, notes and records of paint marks and its no easy job figuring out some of these details. Have started on an article for the library on paint marks, types and how to apply but it will not include specifics by year and all the other details.

Sorry no easy button for this subject.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Rossco

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 06:45:48 AM »
Thanks again Jeff

Offline svo2scj

• Car Collector and home to WHEEL CITY FAIRLANE
Re: Factory markings (paint daubs, stripes, dots and codes)
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 11:13:08 AM »
I can tell you the Paint inspectors working on 4/21/1969 on second shift -if that helps ! 

Mark
1969 R Code , Sportsroof (non Mach) W Axle
AB , Standard Interior  San Jose built 4/22/1969