Author Topic: Photo Gallery Organization  (Read 3338 times)

Offline DKutz

Photo Gallery Organization
« on: February 03, 2016, 06:22:45 PM »
I have come to this web site many times to help withe restoration of my fastback..  While it will not hold up to the high standards on this board, it is still a very nice car.

To me, a picture speaks a thousand words.  I love to see photos to go with or even instead of a description.

There are MANY pictures In the "gallery"  but they don't seem to be orginaized in any manner.  It would be nice if there was a 1965 section etc.  Or better yet organized like the pages on the forum, by year, and area of interest.  I would love to browse though pictures of 65 concours correct cars, but right now its hard to do on this site, without looking at general car show pics etc.

Just a thought, and maybe I am just not viewing it correctly....

this thread will be moved....
1965 Mustang Fastback 'A' Code, silver Blue Met, Med blue int. Auto, San Jose, 10/8/64 #1449**

Gone but not forgotten - 1996 Mustang GT

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Photo Gallery Organization
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 10:56:50 PM »
The galleries are setup per user.

Jeff has done a great job of organizing his stuff:

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?action=gallery;su=user;u=6

Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 06:59:23 AM »
The galleries are setup per user.

Jeff has done a great job of organizing his stuff:

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?action=gallery;su=user;u=6

Cannot access, password protected
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 10:41:49 AM »
Cannot access, password protected

Ah, sorry.  Seeing as Jeff has invested a lot of time in his gallery, maybe he can provide some feedback on that.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline DKutz

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 11:45:53 AM »
I found the member photos ok after your post.  I don't know why yours link asks for email you can just go tot he gallery and click on user albums.

HOWEVER it is still hard to know what is in each folder.  It would be nice to orginaize it in some way by year or something.  That in addtion to all the pictures that are posted here daily.  Maybe just a forum section for pictures by year, instead of putting them in the gallery.  Reserve the gallery for finished beauties.

Not a Knock AT ALL on the people who have spent time organizing what is there, just an observation.

1965 Mustang Fastback 'A' Code, silver Blue Met, Med blue int. Auto, San Jose, 10/8/64 #1449**

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 12:25:28 PM »
Do you have an example where this has been done on another site so we can get a good idea of what your describing and how it works?

Wonder if this (showing galleries of only finished cars) might lead members to just look at these and copy all the details rather than discussing or asking if that detail applies to their particular project.  Seen this happen as a result of a number of sites where there are just pictures and VINs to describe the cars shown with no regard with what is displayed. The result of that has been many unhappy restorers in the long run. Guessing that might not be what your looking for either.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline DKutz

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 02:57:35 PM »
Do you have an example where this has been done on another site so we can get a good idea of what your describing and how it works?

Wonder if this (showing galleries of only finished cars) might lead members to just look at these and copy all the details rather than discussing or asking if that detail applies to their particular project.  Seen this happen as a result of a number of sites where there are just pictures and VINs to describe the cars shown with no regard with what is displayed. The result of that has been many unhappy restorers in the long run. Guessing that might not be what your looking for either.

No I don't have an example, just my thought.  It may not be even possible.  Or not worth the hassle.  But I could see the advantage of showing different plants and styles side by side.  I think its easier to see the phrase "sound deadner from rear splash shield to front"  in PICTURES rather than an explanation.  Just me

Keep up the good work.  I love the forum

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 04:39:51 PM »
No I don't have an example, just my thought.  It may not be even possible.  Or not worth the hassle.  But I could see the advantage of showing different plants and styles side by side.  I think its easier to see the phrase "sound deadner from rear splash shield to front"  in PICTURES rather than an explanation.  Just me

Keep up the good work.  I love the forum

Have had some similar thoughts as I think it would be helpful if all of the unrestored cars (for example) I've posted are intermixed with the other threads/questions in each section. Would be easier if they were all in a separate section (though most are organized that way in my Gallery) just haven't figured how many different ways we can slice and break down all the information we have and share before the organizational method becomes a hindrance.

BTW Good job at placing this discussion in the best choice of sections ;)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 04:50:41 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline DKutz

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 04:53:48 PM »
Have had some similar thoughts as I think it would be helpful if all of the unrestored cars (for example) I've posted are intermixed with the other threads/questions in each section. Would be easier if they were all in a separate section (though most are organized that way in my Gallery) just haven't figured how many different ways we can slice and break down all the information we have and share before the organizational method becomes a hindrance.

BTW Good job at placing this discussion in the best choice of sections ;)

great minds think alike!!  As with all things we strive for the best we can, we may never reach perfection...

finally got a thread in the right place huh?  what ever will YOU do?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2018, 06:34:30 PM »
A related question came up today and I found this thread through the search feature. In reading it it appeared that it could be improved with the addition of a few screen grabs. Hope this helps others

One thing you may noticed that there is some things not organized (out of place)  - orphans. Once these are created moving or renaming categories requires that all connected links be rebuilt.  So you live with them of fix them :(

Lesson - create all the possible categories and subsections even if its for a single picture or you will leave orphans making locating pictures later, that you know you uploaded, more difficult and time consuming

Mains -

Subs -

One layer below-

Each can have one more layer such as Interior, Exterior ..... for each specific car listed

Hope this helps
Jeff Speegle

Offline Dudley

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2018, 01:04:18 PM »
AllFordMustangs forum has sections dedicated to model years

use the link in my signature below, select the gallery tab at the top of the screen and then go to "Classic Mustang Picture Gallery" and then finally the year(s) of specific interest.
I hope this helps.

In reference to Jeff's concern, I would hope that anyone having spent quality time within this concoursemustang website would have read and taken note to the numerous words of advice and instruction he and others have to offer : to enjoy the pictures available on various forums and websites, but to also seek the additional specific year/plant of manufacture of the references/examples used to properly and accurately restore their own vehicle(s).

« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 03:14:34 PM by Dudley »
sold my sig pix Mustang to Marcus Anghel in Sept 2017 -- 1968 Mustang coupe 11,900 mile unrestored-June 19,1968 SJ build. ON COVER OF MCA MUSTANG TIMES APRIL 2018 with feature article. My personal Pix available at :  http://www.allfordmustangs.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/137299/ppuser

Offline Toploader

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2018, 05:26:22 PM »
Had one idea a couple of years ago. But would take a huge amount of work.

Entry page has a floor plan showing an assembly plant. Could be a generic plant, but with the actual stations. Or it could an approximation to the actual ones if information was available.

Above the floor plan, some filters to be set by the user, on model year, plant and maybe a couple more parameters.

Each station on the floor plan has a caption, a short description of what took place there, and a hyperlink with a pop-up list of links to all the discussions on the forum regarding that specific topic/year/plant.

This would give a focused structure to all the valuable information on the site.

Not a very realistic idea, but would definitely be a nice feature.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 05:28:59 PM by Toploader »
76A-Y-D2-13H-72-6-6
1965 Californian Built Silver Blue Convertible

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2018, 07:53:02 PM »
Not a very realistic idea, but would definitely be a nice feature.

So many cool ideas so, little time. Currently I think we have enough info and work to get it posted that we will be done 10 years after last Mustang owner get rid of the car.

This idea is is just as difficult as creating a visual 3D library with pictures (details and accurate) for each part that makes up every different year, model, option, body style, assembly plant and just month.  At least we know what each part is. From the plant angle there are a ton stations that we don't know the order of. Had one of the designers of the San Jose plant many years ago drawing out that plant with all the different lines but that didn't get finished due to personal reasons between him and the contact though we did learn a fair number of details.
Jeff Speegle