Author Topic: 1971 Mach 1 Ram Air 351C 2V.  (Read 1368 times)

Offline tom80915

1971 Mach 1 Ram Air 351C 2V.
« on: February 04, 2016, 04:01:41 PM »
HI new member here! I've seen info on the ram air on this car before. I'm buying a 71 mach 1 that says on the hood its a ram air but the motor doesn't have the rubber gasket on the intake manifold cover. I called the dealer, North shore classics and asked them. He was all umm well uhhh and didn't know. And it has no AC either. Does anyone know if this model has AC and ram air included or am I buying something that's not being correctly represented. thanks for the help! And I haven't fully purchased it yet. Having an inspection done from Carz inspections and waiting on a Marti report too. Thanks again!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1971 Mach 1 Ram Air 351C 2V.
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 04:49:21 PM »
First welcome to the site - hope you find the information shared here helpful in your concours related efforts

Air conditioning was not part of any other package so signs and evidence on the car may provide some clues (like the dash mounted AC ducts but there is allot more)  to if it was originally an AC car but the Marti report will provide "proof" if it did or didn't come that way from the factory. The Marti report will also help with the hood. Looks like someone may have just slapped on the exterior decals since there is no ram air duct work on the hood or the special air cleaner either. Possible the front and rear spoilers/wing may not be original to the car either.

Looks like the sport roof  got a typical used can rattle paint job in the engine compartment. In addition things like intake, coil, dist and a fee other things have been changed out over the years. Not sure what the resistor is for on the passenger side shock tower - would need to chase the wire to see where they lead

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline nham3407

Re: 1971 Mach 1 Ram Air 351C 2V.
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 04:59:44 PM »
Marti report will clarify. I tend to agree with Jeff regarding stickers being applied to a non-ram car.  No under hood plenum is a good clue.  Non-original color on NACA ducts in hood also clues in that some liberties have been taken from the original on exterior. 
67 GT S-Code, San Jose, 06/67
72 Mach 1, Dearborn, 01/72
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 12/67 (Red)
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 6/68 (White)