Author Topic: Discovered my S-code 67 was SOLD exactly twenty (20) days after it was built  (Read 1339 times)

Offline QikBBStang

Kind of cool was looking through some pictures of documents of my 67 Mustang. Way back when (you could do it) I contacted FoMoCo via an 800 number and requested the details on my Mustang. I recall thinking I'd never really expected to see anything because the women that I spoke with was far from fluent in English and it was an ordeal to just give her my address.  I wondered if she ever got it correct. But several weeks later in a FoMoCo envelope with a FoMoco letterhead inside was a typed letter - I got the build details on my Mustang. Section of that letter enclosed.
    The other picture showing an address is from the owners manual of said Mustang... You have to hold/thumb through this manual to believe it, because so many pages have "updates" glued over the pages the percentage of "updated pages" is hard to believe they'd just not print up updated editions rather then be gluing pages in. BTW Someone on the FordFE forum dug up the original owners phone for me from the name & address.  I received a return call after I left a message asking if he once owned a Red 390 Mustang?. He told me he was just back from Vietnam, had read about Mustang's in car magazines while there and wanted a K-code which they did not have at the several dealerships he tried. He'd bought the S-code right out of the showroom. He told me traded the Mustang after about a year to his friend for a International  Scout 4x4 so he could go hunting (LOL thank God there's no deer blood stains in my non-fold down back seat).
 Anyway the Sell Date in my cars Owners Manual is 6/22/67 and the Build Date from FoMoCo was 6/2/67 exactly 20 DAYS!..............Was 20-days quick or not?............I look at it this way IF it were not in the Showroom every Tom, Dick and Harry would have Test Drove it...I once gave a deposit to a Ford Dealer on a Pace Car and came back the next day to find it was out on a test-drive.  It's not like the S-code did not get Raced and it was crazy-fast only being beaten twice in about the hundred cars I raced it against.  --- I had a friend that ordered his 70 R-Code, 4spd Mach1 we'd race 5-10 times a night just for the heck of it, we knew each other and trusted each other. The two Mustang's were so close just winding a couple hundred extra rpm 5,400 vs 5,600 on a 3rd gear shift would be cause for me to loose.

The reason I still have it today... IT was FOR SALE in NEWSDAY for $950 I'd bought my Uncles 71 LTD at trade value to use for college.  An acquaintance bought a Doctor's 4spd W31 Olds and we street raced for $100. I not only pulverized the Olds from a dig but gave him a chance from a roll with the same result. ...I got home patted her on the hood and said: Baby You Just Bought Yourself Retirement....The parents did not like that idea at all.....For years I moved the Stang from garages, to barns to carports anywhere I could talk folks into letting me store it.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 04:23:09 PM by QikBBStang »

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Discovered my S-code 67 was SOLD exactly twenty (20) after it was built
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 03:38:11 PM »
Kind of cool was looking through some pictures of documents of my 67 Mustang. Way back when (you could do it) I contacted FoMoCo via an 800 number and requested the details on my Mustang. I recall thinking I'd never really expected to see anything because the women that I spoke with was far from fluent in English and it was an ordeal to just give her my address, but several weeks later in a FoMoCo envelope and with a FoMoco letterhead inside I got the build details on my Mustang. Section of that letter enclosed.
    The other picture showing an address is from my owners manual of my Mustang... You have to hold/thumb through this manual to believe it, because so many pages have "updates" glued over the pages the percentage of "updated pages" is hard to believe they'd just not print up updated editions rather then be gluing pages in. BTW Someone on the FordFE forum dug up the original owners phone from the info and I spoke with my cars first owner. He told me he was just back from Vietnam, wanted a K-code which they did not have at dealership and bought the S-code that was in the showroom. He traded it to a friend for a International 4x4 so he could go hunting after a about a year.  Anyway the Sell Date in my manual is 6/22/67 and Build Date from FoMoCo was 6/2/67 exactly 20 DAYS!
I never tire of hearing stories like this. Thank you for sharing.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby