Author Topic: 1967 parking brake primary cable bracket ( At floorboard)  (Read 6913 times)

Offline ruppstang

Re: 1967 parking brake primary cable bracket ( At floorboard)
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2016, 09:47:16 AM »
I will add that originals did have the rubber sleeves and I would used Richards repair instruction with the RTV. After finished with the RTV I would put a piece of heat shrinkable tubing over it. After shrinking it trim the ends even with the rubber sleeve.
Marty 

Offline OldMustangGuy

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2016, 11:41:51 AM »
I can tell you from what I have seen that neither have the rubber tubing over the sheath in the rear.

I'm not sure about 67's but the rubber sheath was definitely on 68's.

Another thought on the rear reproductions...from looking at the photos of the "exact reproduction" in the Virginia Mustang catalogue they seem to be very close visually...the biggest difference that I can see is that the end fittings (and maybe the spiral wire...can't quite tell) are zinc plated instead of natural. Instead of trying to restore an old set of cables, has anyone tried to "restore" a new set? I'm wondering if a person could blast off the zinc coating and then tumble/steel wool to get the natural finish back. Any ideas on that approach?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2016, 06:20:48 PM »
I'm not sure about 67's but the rubber sheath was definitely on 68's.

Another thought on the rear reproductions...from looking at the photos of the "exact reproduction" in the Virginia Mustang catalogue they seem to be very close visually...the biggest difference that I can see is that the end fittings (and maybe the spiral wire...can't quite tell) are zinc plated instead of natural. Instead of trying to restore an old set of cables, has anyone tried to "restore" a new set? I'm wondering if a person could blast off the zinc coating and then tumble/steel wool to get the natural finish back. Any ideas on that approach?
67 68 although different assemblies both DEFINITLY had the rubber sheath on the cables. 69/70 too.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2016, 07:53:43 AM »
Regarding the REAR cables this thread seems to have derailed onto, has anyone heard of this product or bought any? Picture looks rather sketchy but description "sounds" good. Maybe this is the item being offered as Concours correct by some vendors?

Motorcity Musclecar out of Romeo Michigan selling a product named "Inline Tube" and claimed to be exact repros made from OE Steel with correct dust boots, spiral windings, rubber protector and all details previously discussed here in this thread.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/67-Ford-Mustang-Shelby-Emergency-Parking-Brake-Cable-OE-/190479861021?hash=item2c597c051d:m:mdN8lTdPHY-f8I3ijD56wTg&vxp=mtr

Portion of description copied from the listing:

"1967 Mustang Concourse Rear Parking Brake Cables 22" Housing 2 Pc. OEM Steel. This is the rear parking brake cables and the clips to hold them in place. All the cables are made exact to the factory originals with exact details. These are specific to the 67 Mustang with Short housing of 22" and are 83 3/8" overall length. They have the correct sprial wind housings, correct color coated ends, rubber dust boots, long rubber cable protectors, ball and cylinder ends.  These Inline tube concourse restoration parts. Best quality and correct plating on all components! If you are working on your underside this auction is for you....

...An Inline Tube Exclusive  -Made in The USA - We do not sell function-only or cheap black plastic coated cables. Our customers get the best factory-correct cables on the market, with spiral housing, rubber dust boots and correct color ends, all identical to the factory originals. Don't settle for the other guys' cheap "replacement" cables.  Only one company manufactures cables exact to the factory originals in authentic tin-coated steel - Inline Tube. Our sets come complete with all the mounting hardware, hooks, clips and detailed installation instructions. It is the way it should be - correct and complete.

...Inline Tube is a REAL Manufacturing facility not a reseller of cheap goods made over seas. We manufacture all the parts that will be needed to reproduce your classic car or truck cables with exact detail.  Inline Tube makes thousands of cables, lines, hoses, valves and other parts."

Now, is somebody brave enough to step into the waters and try a set, see how they TRULY compare to an original example?

« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 08:31:54 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2016, 09:17:24 AM »
It is interesting in the picture on the EBay add did not show the rubber sleeves?

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2016, 12:09:22 PM »
It is interesting in the picture on the EBay add did not show the rubber sleeves?

I noted the same, and I wrote to the seller questioning the image, asking if it is possibly a "canned image". No reply yet after about a 6-hour lapse.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2016, 03:27:19 PM »
I bought a set of these. There is no rubber sleeve on them. Otherwise, on the money when compared to my originals.

-Keith

Offline OldMustangGuy

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2016, 09:50:38 PM »
The repros have a lot of differences depending upon where you source them...not having the rubber sheath on the rears obviously makes them incorrect. Other vendors have them where, while not totally exact, they are closer. The one big difference with the repros is zinc plating on the end fittings instead of natural steel. The plating can be removed with a little effort to get to the original look.

Based on some very good advice from Mr Gaines and others on the Shelby Forum I took a stab at restoring some rear cables. I posted some pictures on the other board but I'll repost here. My process was to soak in Evaporust for a couple of days and then blast and tumble them. Following that, I used an RTV gasket sealer to fill the holes and cracks, trimmed everything up and then applied a heavy duty heat shrink wrap to the rubber.  I'm actually pretty happy with the results.  Here are some before and afters...

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2016, 10:11:02 PM »
It came out great IMO.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2016, 10:32:05 PM »
The repros have a lot of differences depending upon where you source them...not having the rubber sheath on the rears obviously makes them incorrect. Other vendors have them where, while not totally exact, they are closer. The one big difference with the repros is zinc plating on the end fittings instead of natural steel. The plating can be removed with a little effort to get to the original look.

Based on some very good advice from Mr Gaines and others on the Shelby Forum I took a stab at restoring some rear cables. I posted some pictures on the other board but I'll repost here. My process was to soak in Evaporust for a couple of days and then blast and tumble them. Following that, I used an RTV gasket sealer to fill the holes and cracks, trimmed everything up and then applied a heavy duty heat shrink wrap to the rubber.  I'm actually pretty happy with the results.  Here are some before and afters...

IMHO using the original Ford part is the best solution. Great workmanship on the repairs!
Marty
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 10:34:22 PM by ruppstang »

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2016, 10:44:00 PM »
I was hoping a reproduction set as described earlier would help others who's cables were shot. I was still planning on using mine, they are in very similar condition as the used ones just shown a few posts back.

Has anyone found any answers for replacing the split (or missing) dust boots that go on the leading edge of the outer casings?
Richard Urch

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2016, 01:56:30 PM »
Rich,
AMK makes the rubber ends.
                                            -Keith

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2016, 01:59:17 PM »
Rich,
AMK makes the rubber ends.
                                            -Keith

Great! You wouldn't have an item # do you?
Richard Urch

Offline OldMustangGuy

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2016, 04:29:50 PM »
I did a quick look at the AMK catalogue and it didn't jump out at me so the part number would be appreciated. Mine are in pretty good shape so its not an issue but perhaps the heat shrink idea could be applied to a repair with a little experimentation. If you could carefully trim the heat shrink and maybe cut some slits in it so it would fold into the hollow at the ends of the bushing you might end up with a decent repair....I haven't tried it but it might be worth experimenting if a replacement can't be found.

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2016, 09:24:53 PM »
Richard I think I have some I did not use. I check and let you know.
Marty