Author Topic: Power Steering Conversion  (Read 6821 times)

Offline MattDoscher

Power Steering Conversion
« on: March 18, 2016, 09:36:02 PM »
I'm looking to convert my wife's '65 Comet Caliente from manual to power steering.  Her Comet has a column shifted automatic C-4, 200 straight 6, and no A/C.  Anyone happen to have a complete/mostly complete system off a 200 straight 6 they would be willing to part with?  I'm starting from scratch and would need everything (center link, idler arm, power cylinder, control valve, pump w/ brackets, 2-sheave pulleys for crank and water pump).

thanks,
Matt
Matt Doscher

1965 Mercury Comet Caliente Convertible
5H25T582252

Offline Building 3

Re: Power Steering Conversion
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 02:13:29 PM »
Matt: I don't have the parts you are looking for but I do have a comment. I have driven Mustangs with factory power steering and manual steering converted to power. Actually I drove a conversion just a few weeks ago.  The conversion was done in the 1980's so the car has had it quite a while and the owner was happy with it. However, in my opinion, the manual to power conversion without a steering box change results in much too light steering feel.   Because the manual box is a little less than 5 turn lock-to-lock, adding power really results in a feathery feel. You can turn the steering wheel with one finger with no effort.  A much better result is obtained with also converting the box to the faster ratio power steering box which has a lock-to-lock of about 3.5 turns. No matter which way you go, make sure all of the steering and suspension components are in tip-top shape. It really makes a difference in the final result. That's my two cents.  Tom
1966 289 C code auto convertible December 1965 scheduled build at Dearborn.

1966 289 C code auto convertible
October 1965 scheduled build at Metuchen.

Offline MattDoscher

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 03:56:43 PM »
Thanks Tom, I appreciate it.  So would the power steering box provide a little stiffer and less feathery feel compared to the manual steering box w/ the power conversion?
Matt Doscher

5H25T582252

Offline Building 3

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 11:29:52 PM »
Yes it would since it is "only" about 3.5 turns from full stop to full stop compared with the manual at almost 5. When you add the power unit to the manual steering box you don't need much effort to turn the wheel.  Now, with that said, Ford did offer a Dealer installed power steering unit for the Mustang.  I have never figured out what was in the kit. Most importantly was the power steering box included or not? The answer to that question might help determine what Ford engineering thought was acceptable. Another point is that you want a good, no slop steering and suspension system, whether it is manual, power, or a manual to power conversion. The correct power steering box, if it is worn too much, won't give you acceptable results. Lastly, with the skinny biased-ply tires with a small contact patch, on the 1960's cars, the manual steering probably was not as bad as it is today with wider radial tires.  Also, customer expectations were a lot different in the 60's, so the manual steering was probably acceptable for most people. That's not the case today. Good luck no matter which way you decide to go.

Offline MattDoscher

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 11:51:33 AM »
Thanks Tom!

Matt
Matt Doscher

5H25T582252

Offline MattDoscher

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2016, 12:52:44 PM »
Just wanted to share some pics of my new (rebuilt) PS pump and brackets installed on the Comet.  Thanks Ray for helping me out!

Matt
Matt Doscher

5H25T582252

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2016, 11:17:23 PM »
.................. Now, with that said, Ford did offer a Dealer installed power steering unit for the Mustang.  I have never figured out what was in the kit. Most importantly was the power steering box included or not? ................

Sorry missed this thread earlier

The "kit" was a combination of many boxes/kits. Have not seen the steering box included but it might be required or spelled out in the instruction sheets

Some pictures of course

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline suskeenwiske

• 214-347-3628
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2016, 11:37:19 PM »
Just wanted to share some pics of my new (rebuilt) PS pump and brackets installed on the Comet.  Thanks Ray for helping me out!

Matt

Glad I was able to help...still looking for a double groove pulley...will let you know if I find one.

Thanks

Ray
Ray
1965 Dearborn Coupe
6 Cylinder, AT, PB, PS, AC
Est. Build 23A

Offline MattDoscher

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2016, 06:55:10 PM »
*Project update*

Here are some pics of my recently procured and installed C5DE-8509A water pump pulley and C7ZA-3A652 PS frame bracket.
Thanks Marty for helping me out!

Matt
Matt Doscher

5H25T582252

Offline MattDoscher

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2016, 09:34:07 PM »
*Project Update*

All finished w/ my conversion!  Here are some pics:

Matt Doscher

5H25T582252

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2016, 12:08:19 AM »
Nice work Matt, I am glad the parts worked out for you.
Marty

Offline Building 3

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2016, 12:43:50 AM »
Congratulations. Looks good. How does it drive?

Offline MattDoscher

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2016, 10:30:19 AM »
So far it drives fine.  We drove it up and down our street last night some.  The ratio is still the same but the effort to turn is much better.  I have a separate thread on the Comet forum and those guys recommend keeping an eye on the power ram frame bracket.  Apparently the ram exerts a lot of stress on the bracket and one of the members experienced a total failure in his frame bracket where it mounts to the frame.  The 2 bolts that screw into the frame nuts had worked themselves loose enough and broke off destroying the frame holes and bending the ram end.  I was not able to get my nut inserts totally seated in my frame even when using a cheater bar.  The inserts still had some movement but the 2 bolts when tightened along w/ the 3rd one through the frame snugged everything up nicely.  I'll keep and eye on it and any leaks along the way.

Matt
Matt Doscher

5H25T582252